New South Wales Blues Wins Sheffield Shield Against West Australia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 4:15 PM EST
New South Wales Blues finally managed to clinch its 46th Sheffield Shield title against West Australia, held at Manuka Oval.
Steve Smith celebrates his century
With 447 run in the first innings, the Blues needed to draw the match to win the title.
As the fourth day of the match was entirely wiped out in rain, the rules indicated, West Australia have to take seven wickets and make a chase of 350 runs to win the match.
The Blues batted safely in the morning session and were 4 for 159 before lunch, with a lead of 426 runs.
In the second session, they put a formidable target of 464 runs at 4 for 197.
However, as the match was going towards draw, both teams sought permission from Cricket Australia to end the match early and the request was granted. The match was ended at 1:50 PM.
Steve Smith of Blues made an unbeaten 103 and Kurtis Patterson contributed 52 runs.
While the match faced severe rains that washed the fourth day, West Australia showed lack of consistency throughout the match.
On the other hand, New South Wales showed a consistent performance with a strong batting and bowling line-up as Josh Hazlewood picked six wickets and a brilliant ton from Test squad all-rounder Moises Henriques.
Speaking at the presentation, Steve Smith said, "We played good cricket all year."
"To host a final at Manuka Oval was great."
"The way we played over the five days was terrific, so well done boys."
Western Australia Captain Adam Voges stated, "Congratulations to Trevor Bayliss and his team."
"They've been the best team all year, they deserved to host the final and they've outplayed us for five days."
"So they're deserved winners, well done"
The Blues, which had not won the shield till 2008, were ecstatic with the win, which should be, because of their tiring efforts to keep a superfine approach, finally ruling out West Australia in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points