New South Wales Blues Wins Sheffield Shield Against West Australia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 4:15 PM EST
New South Wales Blues finally managed to clinch its 46th Sheffield Shield title against West Australia, held at Manuka Oval.
Steve Smith celebrates his century
With 447 run in the first innings, the Blues needed to draw the match to win the title.
As the fourth day of the match was entirely wiped out in rain, the rules indicated, West Australia have to take seven wickets and make a chase of 350 runs to win the match.
The Blues batted safely in the morning session and were 4 for 159 before lunch, with a lead of 426 runs.
In the second session, they put a formidable target of 464 runs at 4 for 197.
However, as the match was going towards draw, both teams sought permission from Cricket Australia to end the match early and the request was granted. The match was ended at 1:50 PM.
Steve Smith of Blues made an unbeaten 103 and Kurtis Patterson contributed 52 runs.
While the match faced severe rains that washed the fourth day, West Australia showed lack of consistency throughout the match.
On the other hand, New South Wales showed a consistent performance with a strong batting and bowling line-up as Josh Hazlewood picked six wickets and a brilliant ton from Test squad all-rounder Moises Henriques.
Speaking at the presentation, Steve Smith said, "We played good cricket all year."
"To host a final at Manuka Oval was great."
"The way we played over the five days was terrific, so well done boys."
Western Australia Captain Adam Voges stated, "Congratulations to Trevor Bayliss and his team."
"They've been the best team all year, they deserved to host the final and they've outplayed us for five days."
"So they're deserved winners, well done"
The Blues, which had not won the shield till 2008, were ecstatic with the win, which should be, because of their tiring efforts to keep a superfine approach, finally ruling out West Australia in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around