New South Wales Blues Wins Sheffield Shield Against West Australia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 4:15 PM EST
New South Wales Blues finally managed to clinch its 46th Sheffield Shield title against West Australia, held at Manuka Oval.
Steve Smith celebrates his century
With 447 run in the first innings, the Blues needed to draw the match to win the title.
As the fourth day of the match was entirely wiped out in rain, the rules indicated, West Australia have to take seven wickets and make a chase of 350 runs to win the match.
The Blues batted safely in the morning session and were 4 for 159 before lunch, with a lead of 426 runs.
In the second session, they put a formidable target of 464 runs at 4 for 197.
However, as the match was going towards draw, both teams sought permission from Cricket Australia to end the match early and the request was granted. The match was ended at 1:50 PM.
Steve Smith of Blues made an unbeaten 103 and Kurtis Patterson contributed 52 runs.
While the match faced severe rains that washed the fourth day, West Australia showed lack of consistency throughout the match.
On the other hand, New South Wales showed a consistent performance with a strong batting and bowling line-up as Josh Hazlewood picked six wickets and a brilliant ton from Test squad all-rounder Moises Henriques.
Speaking at the presentation, Steve Smith said, "We played good cricket all year."
"To host a final at Manuka Oval was great."
"The way we played over the five days was terrific, so well done boys."
Western Australia Captain Adam Voges stated, "Congratulations to Trevor Bayliss and his team."
"They've been the best team all year, they deserved to host the final and they've outplayed us for five days."
"So they're deserved winners, well done"
The Blues, which had not won the shield till 2008, were ecstatic with the win, which should be, because of their tiring efforts to keep a superfine approach, finally ruling out West Australia in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How