New South Wales Blues Wins Sheffield Shield Against West Australia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 4:15 PM EST
New South Wales Blues finally managed to clinch its 46th Sheffield Shield title against West Australia, held at Manuka Oval.
Steve Smith celebrates his century
With 447 run in the first innings, the Blues needed to draw the match to win the title.
As the fourth day of the match was entirely wiped out in rain, the rules indicated, West Australia have to take seven wickets and make a chase of 350 runs to win the match.
The Blues batted safely in the morning session and were 4 for 159 before lunch, with a lead of 426 runs.
In the second session, they put a formidable target of 464 runs at 4 for 197.
However, as the match was going towards draw, both teams sought permission from Cricket Australia to end the match early and the request was granted. The match was ended at 1:50 PM.
Steve Smith of Blues made an unbeaten 103 and Kurtis Patterson contributed 52 runs.
While the match faced severe rains that washed the fourth day, West Australia showed lack of consistency throughout the match.
On the other hand, New South Wales showed a consistent performance with a strong batting and bowling line-up as Josh Hazlewood picked six wickets and a brilliant ton from Test squad all-rounder Moises Henriques.
Speaking at the presentation, Steve Smith said, "We played good cricket all year."
"To host a final at Manuka Oval was great."
"The way we played over the five days was terrific, so well done boys."
Western Australia Captain Adam Voges stated, "Congratulations to Trevor Bayliss and his team."
"They've been the best team all year, they deserved to host the final and they've outplayed us for five days."
"So they're deserved winners, well done"
The Blues, which had not won the shield till 2008, were ecstatic with the win, which should be, because of their tiring efforts to keep a superfine approach, finally ruling out West Australia in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports