New South Wales Blues Wins Sheffield Shield Against West Australia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 4:15 PM EST
New South Wales Blues finally managed to clinch its 46th Sheffield Shield title against West Australia, held at Manuka Oval.
Steve Smith celebrates his century
With 447 run in the first innings, the Blues needed to draw the match to win the title.
As the fourth day of the match was entirely wiped out in rain, the rules indicated, West Australia have to take seven wickets and make a chase of 350 runs to win the match.
The Blues batted safely in the morning session and were 4 for 159 before lunch, with a lead of 426 runs.
In the second session, they put a formidable target of 464 runs at 4 for 197.
However, as the match was going towards draw, both teams sought permission from Cricket Australia to end the match early and the request was granted. The match was ended at 1:50 PM.
Steve Smith of Blues made an unbeaten 103 and Kurtis Patterson contributed 52 runs.
While the match faced severe rains that washed the fourth day, West Australia showed lack of consistency throughout the match.
On the other hand, New South Wales showed a consistent performance with a strong batting and bowling line-up as Josh Hazlewood picked six wickets and a brilliant ton from Test squad all-rounder Moises Henriques.
Speaking at the presentation, Steve Smith said, "We played good cricket all year."
"To host a final at Manuka Oval was great."
"The way we played over the five days was terrific, so well done boys."
Western Australia Captain Adam Voges stated, "Congratulations to Trevor Bayliss and his team."
"They've been the best team all year, they deserved to host the final and they've outplayed us for five days."
"So they're deserved winners, well done"
The Blues, which had not won the shield till 2008, were ecstatic with the win, which should be, because of their tiring efforts to keep a superfine approach, finally ruling out West Australia in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build