World Candidates Tournament Where to Watch Live: Vishwanathan Anand Looks to Increase Lead
By Shruthi SU | March 25, 2014 4:04 PM EST
Viswanathan Anand is now the favourite to face world champion Magnus Carlsen later this year as he tops the standings after round nine of the ongoing World Candidates Tournament in Khanty Mansiysk, Russia.
With five rounds to go, Anand is at 6 points followed by Levon Aronian at 5. In their personal encounter in round 8, Anand beat Aronian. In round 9, Anand continued his victorious surge in the battle of two former world champions where he topped Veselin Topalov. Aronian, however, couldn't pull off a win, going down to Mamedyarov Shakhriyar in the same round.
Anand, who will play with the white pieces, will face Shakhriyar on Tuesday in round 10 . The Azerbaijani chess Grandmaster stands at 4.5 points, the same as Vladimir Kramnik and Sergey Karjakin .
Though the Indian Grandmaster is at the top of the standings table now, he started off the tournament as an underdog mainly because of the defeat he suffered at the hands of Carlsen in Chennai last year followed by mediocre performances from the start of 2014. But, the victory over top-seeded Aronian has put things back in place.
There are rising concerns over Anand's mental fitness, but given that Monday was a rest day, Anand should be fresh and focused to face the challenge posed by Shakhriyar.
Where to Watch Live
Round 10 Matches:
Sergey Karjakin (Rus, 4.5 points) vs Dmitry Andreikin (Rus, 4 points)
Vladimir Kramnik (Rus, 4.5 points) vs Peter Svidler (Rus, 4 points)
Levon Aronian (Arm, 5 points) vs Veselin Topalov (Bul, 3.5 points)
Viswanathan Anand (Ind, 6 points) vs Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Aze, 4.5 points).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS