MH370 Crash: Mom Hopes Crash was Quick and Passengers Unaware
By Athena Yenko | March 25, 2014 3:38 PM EST
Families of Queensland couple Rod and Mary Burrows waited in agony for 17 days before Malaysian Prime Minister confirmed Monday that the MH370 crashed in the Indian Ocean.
Mother of Mr Burrow, Irene, told Rockhampton Morning Bulletin that she wishes the crash was quick in the hopes that the passengers did not suffer for long.
''I can only hope that whatever happened, it was very quick and they didn't know," she said.
Days after the disappearance of MH370, the Burrows family thanked everyone who were searching for the missing plane.
"The enrichment and strength that Rod and Mary have given us, helps us to get through each moment during this very difficult time. It is comforting to know that Rod and Mary are together, wherever they are. Our family will remain together to provide strength and support to each other as we maintain hope, but brace each other for the worst," the Burrows family said in a statement.
At Sinnamon Park, friends and families of the couple gathered to support each other.
Jayden, the couple's son, refused to comment and chose to go inside the house when pressed by the media.
Meanwhile, Bob Lawton's family in Woodridge south of Brisbane was also quiet.
Brother of Mr Lawton, David, said that they might speak in public in the coming days but as of the meantime they want to keep to themselves.
Speaking with Fairfax media days after the plane went missing, David said that the wait for information left him feeling empty.
"If they found the wreckage of the plane then that would be finalised because there's no hope,'' he said during the interview.
Meanwhile in Beijing, the confirmation was not received with silence.
In a statement, families of Chinese passengers expressed their "strongest protest and condemnation" to Malaysia Airlines, the Malaysian government and Malaysian military.
The statement said that the Malaysian prime minister made the dreadful announcement without "any direct proof."
"In the last 18 days, MAS, the Malaysian government and Malaysian military have delayed announcing, and hid the truth in an attempt to fool the family members of passengers as well as the whole world," a spokesperson for the family said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares