'American Horror Story' Season 4: Who are Returning in 'Freak Show' and Details on Jessica Lange's Role
By Anshu Shrivastava | March 25, 2014 3:00 PM EST
Ryan Murphy, co-creator of "American Horror Story," announced on Twitter that the fourth season of the horror-thriller series will be called "Freak Show."
The previous season, "American Horror Story-Coven," was set in New Orleans and it was speculated that the new season will be set there, as well. However, Entertainment Weekly reports that the "Freak Show" is set in Jupiter, Florida, and in the year 1950. Jessica Lange is portraying the role of a "German ex-pat who is managing one of the last freak shows in the U.S."
It was already confirmed that Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson would return to portray new characters. Entertainment Weekly confirms that Kathy Bates, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett and Frances Conroy are returning, as well. In the "Freak Show," they will be part of a freak troupe as performers. Lange's character has rescued them.
The report also indicates that Denis O'Hare and Emma Roberts are also in talks to return.
The "Freak Show," consisting of 13 episodes, will feature the performers doing anything to keep their business running. As reported previously, the setting of "American Horror Story" Season 4 is the carnival.
Douglas Petrie, writer and co-executive producer of "American Horror Story," confirmed during the Nerdist Writer's panel podcast that the new season will be set in a carnival.
According to Huffington Post's report, Moira Kirkland, a writer for "Castle" and "Arrow," made a reluctant Petrie confirm the carnival rumour. Kirkland was also part of the podcast.
When Petrie refused to talk about "American Horror Story" Season 4, Kirkland said, "Well I don't know if it's true, but I heard carnival." In response, as quoted by Huffington Post, Petrie said, "that was the, it -- it does not have a title."
Ben Blacker, moderator of the podcast, then asked "But that's the setting?" Petrie confirmed: "That's the idea, that's very roughly the idea."
Like Season 3, the Season 4 of "American Horror Story" will also have a lighter tone. It is expected to premiere sometime in October, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown