Gold Near 1-month Low on Concerns over U.S. Rate Rises
March 25, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Gold steadied in early Asian trade on Tuesday, but was just off a one-month low after tumbling about 2 percent in the previous session as hedge funds sold down amid expectations of higher U.S. interest rates.
Customers shop at a gold jewellery showroom in Mumbai, in August, 2013 (Reuters).
* Spot gold added $1.49 an ounce to $1,310.61 by 2357 GMT, having fallen to $1,307.54 an ounce on Monday, its weakest since February 20.
* U.S. gold was steady at $1,311.50 an ounce.
* Some gold investors have turned bearish after comments last week from Federal Reserve chief Janet Yellen suggested interest rates could rise sooner than many in markets had expected, hurting the metal's appeal as a hedge against inflation.
* SPDR Gold Trust, the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, said its holdings rose 0.6 percent to 821.47 tonnes on Monday from 816.97 tonnes on Friday.
* U.S. President Barack Obama and major industrialised allies warned Russia on Monday it faced damaging economic sanctions if President Vladimir Putin takes further action to destabilise Ukraine following the seizure of Crimea.
* The U.S. dollar nursed broad losses early on Tuesday, having come under pressure late in New York as investors bought the euro and drove the Australian dollar to its highest this year.
* Brent crude oil fell and U.S. crude edged slightly higher in choppy trading on Monday as lackluster manufacturing data from the world's largest oil consumer was balanced by supply concerns over the Ukraine crisis and turmoil in Libya.
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics