ONGC to Invest $406 Million in Arabian Sea Oil Field
March 25, 2014 2:51 PM EST
State-run Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC.NS) said on Monday it would invest an additional 24.8 billion rupees for development of its Vasai East oil and gas fields in the Arabian sea.
A technician opens a pressure gas valve inside the Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) group gathering station on the outskirts of Ahmedabad March 2, 2012.
The state-run company expects an incremental oil production of 1.83 million metric tonnes and gas production of 1.97 billion cubic meters by 2030 after the completion of the project by 2018, it said in a statement to the exchanges.
State explorer Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC.NS) expects peak gas output of 25-30 million standard cubic metres per day (mscmd) from its block off the east coast, Exploration Director N K Verma said.
Gas production from the deep water block in the Krishna Godavari (KG) basin will begin in 2017. The northern part of the block holds over 2 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas, Verma told reporters.
ONGC, which has struggled to maintain production from its ageing wells off the west coast, has said previously it hopes to produce from 6 to 9 mscm of gas a day by 2017 from its east coast block.
Gas output from the block will be profitable for ONGC as India is moving to a new pricing regime from April 1 linking local prices with global indexes. Local prices will be reviewed every three months.
ONGC sees local gas prices rising to about $8 per million British thermal units (mmBtu) from April 1 from $4.2/mmBtu now, D.K. Sarraf, chairman of ONGC, told reporters.
Sarraf said every dollar increase in gas prices would increase ONGC's annual revenue by 40 billion rupees and profit after tax by 24 billion rupees.
Higher gas prices will help ONGC make investments to arrest a decline in oil and gas output from its older fields, Sarraf said and ONGC aims to raise its output to 130 million tonnes of oil and oil equivalent a year by 2030 from 60 million tonnes at present.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015