Screen Size Wars: Would You Prefer a ‘Giant Screen’ Over a ‘Lilliputian Screen’? Will Apple Bite the Bullet With iPhone 6?
By Pavithra Rathinavel | March 25, 2014 2:01 PM EST
The debate on big vs. small screen is a never ending saga. Although there are many parameters one would consider before choosing a handset, the screen size is always the deal breaker.
For those who have been using big screens, getting accustomed to a relatively small screen is a herculean task.
An Apple iPhone 4Ss and a Samsung Galaxy S III are displayed in Seoul.
Based on reports, nearly one-fourth of smartphones shipped worldwide in the third quarter of 2013 had 5-inch plus display.
Rumors claimed Apple might upgrade the screen size for iPhone 6, from its regular 4 inches plus display to something comparatively bigger.
If Apple starts to sell big screens in the future, there is no doubt that Apple is playing the catch-up game with Samsung's Galaxy phones with a big chunk of people looking for bigger and better screens.
Here is an account by Jillian D'Onfro of Business Insider on her experience with large screened phone/phablet:
Encounter With Large Screen, Apple vs. Samsung Screen War
According to Jillian, she's been using a smartphone with a 4.3-inch display. But recently, she switched to the gigantic Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It's been several weeks of use but she would not trade her big screen for small screen ever. Déjà vu?
From the first look, she felt Note 3 looked ridiculously huge and she almost felt the phablet is an obnoxious novelty to carry around. According to her, here is the list of advantage in using a big screened phone.
1. YouTube videos looked impressive on the Note's clear-and-bright display.
2. Very helpful when reading lengthy articles without having to squint the eyes.
3. Instagram photos looked surreal and very alluring.
4. The camera on Note 3 is flawless.
5. Camera focus is super sharp.
6. Playing games become all the more interesting and addictive with the big screen.
7. Scrolling the feed looked seamless and smooth with the extra large reading room.
8. Samsung's Galaxy Note phones come with the "S Pen" (Stylus), which lets the user make elaborate drawings on the screen.
9. The touch screen is very responsive that typing becomes gentler and coherent.
10. Calls are clearer than ever. Jillian claimed the sheer size of the Note 3 extends from ear to mouth and makes phone call sound clearer.
As expected, Jillian loved her Galaxy Note 3 within several weeks of using the phablet/phone.
"To anyone who says that they wouldn't like using a big phone before ever trying one, I urge you to reconsider," she said. A smartphone/phablet with a large screen like the Note 3 offers incredible overall experience.
"Everything a little phone can do, a big phone can do better, besides fitting in your pocket," she added.
As they say, "the bigger, the better."
It's Apple's Game to Lose
Will Apple bite the bullet finally? In any case, if Apple does not offer a relatively large screen, it's going to lose more customers to Samsung and the rest of the front runners as more people are interested in investing in mammoth screens than their smaller counterparts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More