MP Craig Thomson Gets 1-Year Sentence for Spending HSU Money on Prostitutes, Personal Expense; Posts Bail
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg sentenced MP Craig Thomson on Tuesday to 12 months prison term for using $24,000 of Health Services Union (HSU) funds to pay for prostitutes and personal expenses.
However, the embattled MP is supposed to spent time in jail only three months, while the remaining 9 months sentence will be suspended. Mr Thomson also immediately posted bail.
The MP was convicted on 65 dishonesty charges. In sentencing the MP for Dobell and former national secretary of HSU, the magistrate noted that Mr Thomson has exhibited "arrogance in the extreme" and "breach of trust of the highest order" when he misused the union funds for personal use.
Mr Rozencwajg likewise pointed out that the convicted MP showed no remorse, prompting the magistrate to order immediate imprisonment.
He added, "Nothing has been put before me to suggest these offences were committed for any reason other than greed."
Mr Thomson immediately filed an appeal slated for hearing on Nov 24.
HSU acting National President Chris Brown expressed satisfaction with the sentence, saying the union had waited seven years for Mr Thomson to account for his wrongdoing.
Previous report said that the former Labor MP will mortgage his home to repay back the $24,000 he misspent.
Among the conditions of his bail are that he would stay at the same New South Wales address and the Victoria police will keep his passport to prevent flight.
As a result of his conviction, Mr Thomson is suffering from a depressive disorder caused by the public humiliation and the loss of the MP's political career, his lawyers said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Satanic Sex Cult Has 1800 Men Having Sex With A Teen
- Mafia-Style Family Emerged in Thailand
- Mass Rapes In Iraq & Syria As Islamic State Seeks To Populate Caliphate; Male Muslim Recruits Also Sodomised
- Expect More Beheadings As Islamic State Urges Jihadists To Kill By Any Means Possible Australians & Other Citizens Of Nations Who Enter Into Coalition Against IS
- 5 Famous People Who've Spent Time In Jail
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint