MP Craig Thomson Gets 1-Year Sentence for Spending HSU Money on Prostitutes, Personal Expense; Posts Bail
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg sentenced MP Craig Thomson on Tuesday to 12 months prison term for using $24,000 of Health Services Union (HSU) funds to pay for prostitutes and personal expenses.
However, the embattled MP is supposed to spent time in jail only three months, while the remaining 9 months sentence will be suspended. Mr Thomson also immediately posted bail.
The MP was convicted on 65 dishonesty charges. In sentencing the MP for Dobell and former national secretary of HSU, the magistrate noted that Mr Thomson has exhibited "arrogance in the extreme" and "breach of trust of the highest order" when he misused the union funds for personal use.
Mr Rozencwajg likewise pointed out that the convicted MP showed no remorse, prompting the magistrate to order immediate imprisonment.
He added, "Nothing has been put before me to suggest these offences were committed for any reason other than greed."
Mr Thomson immediately filed an appeal slated for hearing on Nov 24.
HSU acting National President Chris Brown expressed satisfaction with the sentence, saying the union had waited seven years for Mr Thomson to account for his wrongdoing.
Previous report said that the former Labor MP will mortgage his home to repay back the $24,000 he misspent.
Among the conditions of his bail are that he would stay at the same New South Wales address and the Victoria police will keep his passport to prevent flight.
As a result of his conviction, Mr Thomson is suffering from a depressive disorder caused by the public humiliation and the loss of the MP's political career, his lawyers said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage