Security at Brisbane International Airport Breached by a Pair of Scissors, 2,000 Passengers Affected
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 25, 2014 12:42 PM EST
The flight of some 2,000 passengers has been delayed at the Brisbane International Airport on Monday morning as authorities were forced to clear the area. A pair of scissors detected in a passenger's carry-on luggage sparked a major re-screening process.
A worker is pictured during renovation and expansion works at Juscelino Kubitschek International Airport in Brasilia March 24, 2014. Brasilia is one of the host cities for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino
The pair of scissors listed as one of the "forbidden objects" was identified after several levels of security checks.
An airport spokesman said each passenger on three international flights due to board would be screened first.
"We are having to re-screen all passengers in the sterile area as a precaution," she said.
"We're not sure why that person wasn't stopped at the screening point. That will be part of an investigation."
"We'll always err on the side of caution. We apologize for any inconvenience. This is something we take very seriously," she added.
Airport security personnel have yet to find and identify the owner of the bag. It was also not yet clear if the owner have been tracked down.
"There will be a full investigation into it. If it's an honest mistake that person will be allowed to go on his way."
Passengers affected by the re-screening process had no choice but to abide and stay put.
"All planes have been disembarked and no planes can land," a passenger caught up in the incident told Courier Mail.
Tara Parsons, one of the passengers, said she's relieved it was just a pair of scissors, despite admitting she's not happy with the delays.
"(I'm) devastated actually, hopefully we'll be able to take off soon and we'll be back on schedule, I'll have to make some calls and try to make my ride."
"I've been waiting in the security line for 2 hours."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air