Security at Brisbane International Airport Breached by a Pair of Scissors, 2,000 Passengers Affected
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 25, 2014 12:42 PM EST
The flight of some 2,000 passengers has been delayed at the Brisbane International Airport on Monday morning as authorities were forced to clear the area. A pair of scissors detected in a passenger's carry-on luggage sparked a major re-screening process.
A worker is pictured during renovation and expansion works at Juscelino Kubitschek International Airport in Brasilia March 24, 2014. Brasilia is one of the host cities for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino
The pair of scissors listed as one of the "forbidden objects" was identified after several levels of security checks.
An airport spokesman said each passenger on three international flights due to board would be screened first.
"We are having to re-screen all passengers in the sterile area as a precaution," she said.
"We're not sure why that person wasn't stopped at the screening point. That will be part of an investigation."
"We'll always err on the side of caution. We apologize for any inconvenience. This is something we take very seriously," she added.
Airport security personnel have yet to find and identify the owner of the bag. It was also not yet clear if the owner have been tracked down.
"There will be a full investigation into it. If it's an honest mistake that person will be allowed to go on his way."
Passengers affected by the re-screening process had no choice but to abide and stay put.
"All planes have been disembarked and no planes can land," a passenger caught up in the incident told Courier Mail.
Tara Parsons, one of the passengers, said she's relieved it was just a pair of scissors, despite admitting she's not happy with the delays.
"(I'm) devastated actually, hopefully we'll be able to take off soon and we'll be back on schedule, I'll have to make some calls and try to make my ride."
"I've been waiting in the security line for 2 hours."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]