Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Says Broner is Stronger Than Mayweather, But Money May is the Better Boxer
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 10:19 AM EST
Although Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana beat American boxer Adrien Broner and captured the World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight title in San Antonio, Texas, in December 2013, he considers Broner stronger than his May 3 opponent.
Maidana and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr are slugging it out on the first week of May at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. He believes he can give Money May his first defeat because Mayweather is not as strong as Broner, although he acknowledges that Floyd is the better pugilist.
"I am going to train well, I am going to go out there and fight without fear and without respecting him. There are many boxers that when they are in the ring with Floyd, they are afraid. He is not going to intimidate me," Maidana was quoted by Boxing Scene.
The Argentinean champion added, "Canelo Alvarez did not go after him. He didn't do anything and allowed [Mayweather} to work. I always go out to press my rival, to corner him and to unload my punches."
He observed that Money May often goes against the rope, which is an opportunity for him to hit his opponent with punches, reputed to be heavy like Maidana has bricks on his hands.
Maidana is currently training with Alex Ariza, the former strength and conditioning coach of Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. A few years ago, conditioning was a weak spot of Maidana who often ran out of gas late in his bouts. But for the boxing training, it is being provided by Robert Garcia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories