Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Says Broner is Stronger Than Mayweather, But Money May is the Better Boxer
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 10:19 AM EST
Although Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana beat American boxer Adrien Broner and captured the World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight title in San Antonio, Texas, in December 2013, he considers Broner stronger than his May 3 opponent.
Maidana and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr are slugging it out on the first week of May at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. He believes he can give Money May his first defeat because Mayweather is not as strong as Broner, although he acknowledges that Floyd is the better pugilist.
"I am going to train well, I am going to go out there and fight without fear and without respecting him. There are many boxers that when they are in the ring with Floyd, they are afraid. He is not going to intimidate me," Maidana was quoted by Boxing Scene.
The Argentinean champion added, "Canelo Alvarez did not go after him. He didn't do anything and allowed [Mayweather} to work. I always go out to press my rival, to corner him and to unload my punches."
He observed that Money May often goes against the rope, which is an opportunity for him to hit his opponent with punches, reputed to be heavy like Maidana has bricks on his hands.
Maidana is currently training with Alex Ariza, the former strength and conditioning coach of Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. A few years ago, conditioning was a weak spot of Maidana who often ran out of gas late in his bouts. But for the boxing training, it is being provided by Robert Garcia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates