Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Says Broner is Stronger Than Mayweather, But Money May is the Better Boxer
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 10:19 AM EST
Although Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana beat American boxer Adrien Broner and captured the World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight title in San Antonio, Texas, in December 2013, he considers Broner stronger than his May 3 opponent.
Maidana and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr are slugging it out on the first week of May at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. He believes he can give Money May his first defeat because Mayweather is not as strong as Broner, although he acknowledges that Floyd is the better pugilist.
"I am going to train well, I am going to go out there and fight without fear and without respecting him. There are many boxers that when they are in the ring with Floyd, they are afraid. He is not going to intimidate me," Maidana was quoted by Boxing Scene.
The Argentinean champion added, "Canelo Alvarez did not go after him. He didn't do anything and allowed [Mayweather} to work. I always go out to press my rival, to corner him and to unload my punches."
He observed that Money May often goes against the rope, which is an opportunity for him to hit his opponent with punches, reputed to be heavy like Maidana has bricks on his hands.
Maidana is currently training with Alex Ariza, the former strength and conditioning coach of Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. A few years ago, conditioning was a weak spot of Maidana who often ran out of gas late in his bouts. But for the boxing training, it is being provided by Robert Garcia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight