The Burglar Steals Prada: Kiwi Thief Targets Rich Asian Homes in Melbourne
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 9:55 AM EST
A Kiwi house thief, dubbed as Spiderman, pleaded on Monday guilty to 19 charges, including the theft of expensive and branded items such as Prada watches and Louis Vuitton bags.
A customer looks into a giant Hermes Kelly handbag at a Hermes boutique in Nanjing, Jiangsu province February 17, 2012. The 4-meter-tall handbag, being made with the same materials as Hermes Kelly Bags, was on exhibition from Thursday aiming to attract more customers, local media reported.
The target of 40-year-old Barry John Williams specialises in burgling homes of rich Asians in Melbourne. He has filched $175,000 cash, jewellery and branded bags such as Chanel, Dior, Cartier, Prada and Louis Vuitton.
According to prosecutor Tim Hoare, most of the target homes of Mr Williams were two- or three-storey houses with high perimeter walls. He scales the wall and often enters via the windows of bathrooms connected to the bedroom.
Mr Hoare told the Victorian County Court that Mr Williams has burgled homes in Balwyn, Brighton, Kew and Toorak, driving regularly from NSW to steal from homes since July 2009 until he was caught breaking into a Toorak house in June 2013.
Mr Williams, who was caught twice by his victims, ran immediately from the homes and did not engage in violent acts, the prosecutor noted. He was even cooperative in the investigation, answering over 1,000 questions from detectives.
Because of his complete cooperation with the police, full admission and even a letter of remorse, Judge Bill Stuart said the number of burglary incidents and the amount involved would be also taken into consideration.
The burglar who loves Prada, a migrant from New Zealand since 2002, is slated for sentencing on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Forced Marriages And Child Brides Rampant In Australia: Police Said
- Singapore Top Court Maintains Law Criminalising Gay Sex
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Roast Busters Scandal Investigation: No Charges Filed
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2