Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Relatives of Passengers Express Grief at PM Najib Razak TV Announcement that There is No Doubt the Missing Jet Crashed into the Indian Ocean
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 3:59 AM EST
Relatives of the passengers of the ill-fated Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 were seen on late Monday leaving the conference room of a hotel in Beijing after watching a televised announcement by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak. The PM said there is no doubt that the Boeing 777 with 239 passengers and crew crashed into the Indian Ocean with likely no survivors.
CBS reported that one woman collapsed and fell on her knees, while wailing "My son! My son!"
Another elderly man was carried out of the conference room, his faced covered by a jacket, on a stretcher by medical teams that arrived at the Lido Hotel. He was followed by a middle-aged woman who was also taken out on a stretcher, face ashen with eyes staring off into the distance amid a blank expressionless face.
Majority of the relatives refused to be interviewed by media, while some vent their anger at the TV crews and reporters. One man even threatened a TV cameraman with the words, "Don't film. I'll beat you to death!"
Mr Razak based his heart-breaking announcement on analysis of data by British investigators from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch which concluded that the plane that disappeared on March 8 likely plunged into the sea.
Inmarsat, a satellite company, managed to trace the final flight path of the jet by using sophisticated technology, and determined its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth where an Australian satellite have captured images of 2 objects, likely debris from the crashed aircraft.
"With deep sadness and regret, that according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in this southern Indian Ocean," the PM said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design