Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Relatives of Passengers Express Grief at PM Najib Razak TV Announcement that There is No Doubt the Missing Jet Crashed into the Indian Ocean
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 3:59 AM EST
Relatives of the passengers of the ill-fated Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 were seen on late Monday leaving the conference room of a hotel in Beijing after watching a televised announcement by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak. The PM said there is no doubt that the Boeing 777 with 239 passengers and crew crashed into the Indian Ocean with likely no survivors.
CBS reported that one woman collapsed and fell on her knees, while wailing "My son! My son!"
Another elderly man was carried out of the conference room, his faced covered by a jacket, on a stretcher by medical teams that arrived at the Lido Hotel. He was followed by a middle-aged woman who was also taken out on a stretcher, face ashen with eyes staring off into the distance amid a blank expressionless face.
Majority of the relatives refused to be interviewed by media, while some vent their anger at the TV crews and reporters. One man even threatened a TV cameraman with the words, "Don't film. I'll beat you to death!"
Mr Razak based his heart-breaking announcement on analysis of data by British investigators from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch which concluded that the plane that disappeared on March 8 likely plunged into the sea.
Inmarsat, a satellite company, managed to trace the final flight path of the jet by using sophisticated technology, and determined its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth where an Australian satellite have captured images of 2 objects, likely debris from the crashed aircraft.
"With deep sadness and regret, that according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in this southern Indian Ocean," the PM said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports