Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Relatives of Passengers Express Grief at PM Najib Razak TV Announcement that There is No Doubt the Missing Jet Crashed into the Indian Ocean
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 25, 2014 3:59 AM EST
Relatives of the passengers of the ill-fated Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 were seen on late Monday leaving the conference room of a hotel in Beijing after watching a televised announcement by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak. The PM said there is no doubt that the Boeing 777 with 239 passengers and crew crashed into the Indian Ocean with likely no survivors.
CBS reported that one woman collapsed and fell on her knees, while wailing "My son! My son!"
Another elderly man was carried out of the conference room, his faced covered by a jacket, on a stretcher by medical teams that arrived at the Lido Hotel. He was followed by a middle-aged woman who was also taken out on a stretcher, face ashen with eyes staring off into the distance amid a blank expressionless face.
Majority of the relatives refused to be interviewed by media, while some vent their anger at the TV crews and reporters. One man even threatened a TV cameraman with the words, "Don't film. I'll beat you to death!"
Mr Razak based his heart-breaking announcement on analysis of data by British investigators from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch which concluded that the plane that disappeared on March 8 likely plunged into the sea.
Inmarsat, a satellite company, managed to trace the final flight path of the jet by using sophisticated technology, and determined its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth where an Australian satellite have captured images of 2 objects, likely debris from the crashed aircraft.
"With deep sadness and regret, that according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in this southern Indian Ocean," the PM said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People