‘MH370 Found’ Hoaxes go Viral: Fake CNN Accounts Post ‘Clickjacking’ Scams, False Claims
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 25, 2014 1:07 AM EST
Scammers seem to be taking advantage of the enormous human interest that the entire saga of the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 has generated.
In what has been widely referred to as a display of bad taste, fake news profiles and accounts have popped up out of nowhere across the social media channels, with each one claiming to have found the ill-fated flight that disappeared on 8 March, an hour into its journey from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
A picture from one of the fake CNN Twitter accounts (@OfficiaI_CNN).
Worst, as News.com.au notes, is that the fake posts include what is known as 'clickjacking' scams, which leads users into promotional websites and potentially comprise the security of one's account. The fake profiles, links and hoaxes have targeted both Facebook and Twitter.
There has been a spate of newly created CNN Twitter handles, claiming to have found the lost plane, somewhere in some obscure place or "in a bay". Such fake profiles include @OfficialCNN, @RealCNN, @OfficiallCNN, @Offical_CNN and @OFFICIALCNN_.
Quite unfortunately, several Twitter users have fallen victim to the displeasing hoaxes. The false claims made by these fake accounts - that the missing plane was found - have been retweeted several times as well.
For instance, a fake post made by @OfficialCNN that states "BREAKING: Malaysian Flight 370 has been found in bay", was retweeted nearly 5,000 times.
One post, retweeted almost 500 times, shows a picture in which stranded people 'from the MH370' standing on the wings of the plane. The plane seemed to have landed safely without breaking apart over open waters, with passgers seeming to be safe and sound in the unbelievable fictional depiction. Infact it's quite surprising that some people actually gave heed to such posts.
Here are some posts from fake handles that are to be avoided:
— CNN (@OfficiaICNN) March 22, 2014
Malaysian aircraft MH370, found in a bay: http://t.co/3HdigAX1Ii pic.twitter.com/F1Yisv6qDx — CNN (@OfficiallCNN) March 22, 2014
— CNN (@OfficiaI_CNN) March 24, 2014
Malaysian Airlines ‘MH350’ has been found in bay. http://t.co/ccuy5vrZV7 pic.twitter.com/0RdGHmBuQn — CNN (@OFFICIALCNN_) March 18, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change