‘MH370 Found’ Hoaxes go Viral: Fake CNN Accounts Post ‘Clickjacking’ Scams, False Claims
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 25, 2014 1:07 AM EST
Scammers seem to be taking advantage of the enormous human interest that the entire saga of the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 has generated.
In what has been widely referred to as a display of bad taste, fake news profiles and accounts have popped up out of nowhere across the social media channels, with each one claiming to have found the ill-fated flight that disappeared on 8 March, an hour into its journey from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
A picture from one of the fake CNN Twitter accounts (@OfficiaI_CNN).
Worst, as News.com.au notes, is that the fake posts include what is known as 'clickjacking' scams, which leads users into promotional websites and potentially comprise the security of one's account. The fake profiles, links and hoaxes have targeted both Facebook and Twitter.
There has been a spate of newly created CNN Twitter handles, claiming to have found the lost plane, somewhere in some obscure place or "in a bay". Such fake profiles include @OfficialCNN, @RealCNN, @OfficiallCNN, @Offical_CNN and @OFFICIALCNN_.
Quite unfortunately, several Twitter users have fallen victim to the displeasing hoaxes. The false claims made by these fake accounts - that the missing plane was found - have been retweeted several times as well.
For instance, a fake post made by @OfficialCNN that states "BREAKING: Malaysian Flight 370 has been found in bay", was retweeted nearly 5,000 times.
One post, retweeted almost 500 times, shows a picture in which stranded people 'from the MH370' standing on the wings of the plane. The plane seemed to have landed safely without breaking apart over open waters, with passgers seeming to be safe and sound in the unbelievable fictional depiction. Infact it's quite surprising that some people actually gave heed to such posts.
Here are some posts from fake handles that are to be avoided:
— CNN (@OfficiaICNN) March 22, 2014
Malaysian aircraft MH370, found in a bay: http://t.co/3HdigAX1Ii pic.twitter.com/F1Yisv6qDx — CNN (@OfficiallCNN) March 22, 2014
— CNN (@OfficiaI_CNN) March 24, 2014
Malaysian Airlines ‘MH350’ has been found in bay. http://t.co/ccuy5vrZV7 pic.twitter.com/0RdGHmBuQn — CNN (@OFFICIALCNN_) March 18, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS