Miami Open Results and Preview: Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams in Action; Where To Watch Live
By Shruthi SU | March 24, 2014 11:26 PM EST
Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams didn't have it easy in the third round of the WTA Miami Open but both made it through their marathon matches and are now all set to start afresh in the next round on Monday.
Sharapova had to sweat it out to beat Lucie Safarova 6-4, 6-7(7), 6-2 on Saturday. The match went on for almost three hours and the crowd was in for a spectacle.
"She kept hitting unbelievable shots," Sharapova said after her win over the 26th seed. "One more. One more. I said, 'How many chances are you going to get?' I'm just so happy to go through."
They played 228 points to see a result. The Russian will now face world no.23 Kirsten Flipkens for a spot in the quarterfinals.
Where to Watch Live
Maria Sharapova vs Kirsten Flipkens starts at 11:00 am local time and 8.30 pm IST, followed by Serena Williams vs Coco Vandeweghe. Live coverage will be on Ten Sports in India, and for online viewers, the day's play will be live streamed in India and UK HERE and HERE. ESPN will have live coverage for the US and Australia but to watch the action live online, click HERE or HERE.
Serena Williams also had to run a similar marathon like Sharapova to make it to the next round. But the much-talked-about Caroline Garcia had already made her point, despite losing to the top-ranked Williams 4-6, 6-4, 4-6.
If 21-year-old Garcia was on top of her game as she breezed through her serves, Williams was upset with herself with 41 unforced errors, including seven double-faults.
"I can play a hundred times better," Williams said. "I really gave myself a tremendous amount of trouble out there. Granted she played great, but I made so many errors -- 40-something errors. It's not the way to play professional tennis. Maybe amateur."
Williams will now face fellow American Coo Vandeweghe in the fourth round as she bids for a record seventh title at Miami.
Meanwhile, in the men's singles, Andy Murrary did just fine without coach Ivan Lendl on the road, to defend his title with a comfortable 6-4, 6-1 win over Spain's Feliciano Lopez.
"It's not always that easy to feel comfortable against him because there is not loads of rhythm with the way he plays," Murray, who will face Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the next round, said. "But I moved well, returned well."
Two-time champion Roger Federer too had no problems brushing aside Thiemo de Bakker 6-3, 6-3.
"I'm feeling really good with my game," the Swiss said after defeating the Dutchman. "My confidence is high and I'm moving well. I'm excited about how I've been playing."
The world no. 5 will line up against ninth seed Frenchman Richard Gasquet in round four.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0