Miami Open Results and Preview: Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams in Action; Where To Watch Live
By Shruthi SU | March 24, 2014 11:26 PM EST
Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams didn't have it easy in the third round of the WTA Miami Open but both made it through their marathon matches and are now all set to start afresh in the next round on Monday.
Sharapova had to sweat it out to beat Lucie Safarova 6-4, 6-7(7), 6-2 on Saturday. The match went on for almost three hours and the crowd was in for a spectacle.
"She kept hitting unbelievable shots," Sharapova said after her win over the 26th seed. "One more. One more. I said, 'How many chances are you going to get?' I'm just so happy to go through."
They played 228 points to see a result. The Russian will now face world no.23 Kirsten Flipkens for a spot in the quarterfinals.
Where to Watch Live
Maria Sharapova vs Kirsten Flipkens starts at 11:00 am local time and 8.30 pm IST, followed by Serena Williams vs Coco Vandeweghe. Live coverage will be on Ten Sports in India, and for online viewers, the day's play will be live streamed in India and UK HERE and HERE. ESPN will have live coverage for the US and Australia but to watch the action live online, click HERE or HERE.
Serena Williams also had to run a similar marathon like Sharapova to make it to the next round. But the much-talked-about Caroline Garcia had already made her point, despite losing to the top-ranked Williams 4-6, 6-4, 4-6.
If 21-year-old Garcia was on top of her game as she breezed through her serves, Williams was upset with herself with 41 unforced errors, including seven double-faults.
"I can play a hundred times better," Williams said. "I really gave myself a tremendous amount of trouble out there. Granted she played great, but I made so many errors -- 40-something errors. It's not the way to play professional tennis. Maybe amateur."
Williams will now face fellow American Coo Vandeweghe in the fourth round as she bids for a record seventh title at Miami.
Meanwhile, in the men's singles, Andy Murrary did just fine without coach Ivan Lendl on the road, to defend his title with a comfortable 6-4, 6-1 win over Spain's Feliciano Lopez.
"It's not always that easy to feel comfortable against him because there is not loads of rhythm with the way he plays," Murray, who will face Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the next round, said. "But I moved well, returned well."
Two-time champion Roger Federer too had no problems brushing aside Thiemo de Bakker 6-3, 6-3.
"I'm feeling really good with my game," the Swiss said after defeating the Dutchman. "My confidence is high and I'm moving well. I'm excited about how I've been playing."
The world no. 5 will line up against ninth seed Frenchman Richard Gasquet in round four.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change