Android 4.4.3 KTU65 Firmware: New Nexus 5 Bug-Fixing Build or Pre-Lollipop Update?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 24, 2014 8:34 PM EST
New Android 4.4.3 version seems to be heading its way to LG Nexus 5 after an unaccounted firmware build version KTU65 online. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" that only Google engineers can view - is it another bug fixing patch or pre-Lollipop update coming very soon?
Android 4.4.3 Version
Currently, Android KitKat has three version - 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 - used by various manufacturers worldwide. Most high-class manufacturers release Android 4.4.2 version containing all the necessary improvements and bug fixes from Google for Android KitKat running devices.
According to Android Origin, a recent report from Myce revealed that one unit of LG Nexus 5 runs an unaccounted firmware version coded KTU65 and possibly the new version of Android KitKat. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" allowing engineers only at Google to view it.
Moreover, the name KTU65 suggested that it is a new KitKat version with the letters "K" and "T" appearing first on the code. Letter "U" on the code also suggests that it was made around the first quarter of 2014 for the LG Nexus 5. Google used letters to code for quarters since 2009 according to Myce beginning from "A" for Q1 2009.
There are no suggestions that KTU65 is an Android 4.5 or 5.0 Lollipop build as of this time and could only indicate Android 4.4.3 KitKat. But we cannot eliminate the possibility that KTU65 may be a pre-lollipop update which happened before on Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean as a pre-kitkat firmware.
We can expect that all Nexus devices running Android 4.4.2 KitKat are getting KTU65 firmware soon if Google certifies it as an update. Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 and 2013, and Nexus 10 are expected to receive an update once it has been approved.
However, Android 4.4.3 or KTU65 suggests no direct involvement with upcoming Nexus devices such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 8. Google always present a new Nexus device with the latest Android OS and for this year, rumours have been speculating Android 4.5/5.0 or Lollipop version.
Based on the report from Myce, KTU65 firmware is expected to be released starting from late March or April if Google approves it. The "65" numeral on the firmware code represents the 65th day in Q1 2014 making the new firmware freshly made on March 6th.
Google is allegedly replacing Nexus 7 line with new Nexus 8 slate starting in 2014. Nexus 8 is rumoured to be announced at Google I/O event running the upcoming Android 4.5 or 5.0 firmware.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Meet 3 New 'Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire' Mega Evolutions And Legendary Rayquaza
- Minecraft: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang Makers of Minecraft Today
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date