Android 4.4.3 KTU65 Firmware: New Nexus 5 Bug-Fixing Build or Pre-Lollipop Update?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 24, 2014 8:34 PM EST
New Android 4.4.3 version seems to be heading its way to LG Nexus 5 after an unaccounted firmware build version KTU65 online. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" that only Google engineers can view - is it another bug fixing patch or pre-Lollipop update coming very soon?
Android 4.4.3 Version
Currently, Android KitKat has three version - 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 - used by various manufacturers worldwide. Most high-class manufacturers release Android 4.4.2 version containing all the necessary improvements and bug fixes from Google for Android KitKat running devices.
According to Android Origin, a recent report from Myce revealed that one unit of LG Nexus 5 runs an unaccounted firmware version coded KTU65 and possibly the new version of Android KitKat. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" allowing engineers only at Google to view it.
Moreover, the name KTU65 suggested that it is a new KitKat version with the letters "K" and "T" appearing first on the code. Letter "U" on the code also suggests that it was made around the first quarter of 2014 for the LG Nexus 5. Google used letters to code for quarters since 2009 according to Myce beginning from "A" for Q1 2009.
There are no suggestions that KTU65 is an Android 4.5 or 5.0 Lollipop build as of this time and could only indicate Android 4.4.3 KitKat. But we cannot eliminate the possibility that KTU65 may be a pre-lollipop update which happened before on Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean as a pre-kitkat firmware.
We can expect that all Nexus devices running Android 4.4.2 KitKat are getting KTU65 firmware soon if Google certifies it as an update. Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 and 2013, and Nexus 10 are expected to receive an update once it has been approved.
However, Android 4.4.3 or KTU65 suggests no direct involvement with upcoming Nexus devices such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 8. Google always present a new Nexus device with the latest Android OS and for this year, rumours have been speculating Android 4.5/5.0 or Lollipop version.
Based on the report from Myce, KTU65 firmware is expected to be released starting from late March or April if Google approves it. The "65" numeral on the firmware code represents the 65th day in Q1 2014 making the new firmware freshly made on March 6th.
Google is allegedly replacing Nexus 7 line with new Nexus 8 slate starting in 2014. Nexus 8 is rumoured to be announced at Google I/O event running the upcoming Android 4.5 or 5.0 firmware.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. Nexus 5 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- iPhone 5 vs. LG G3 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Xbox One News: Possible 24-Hour Free Games, 5M Approved Units In China And Continuing Resolution Issues
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop