Android 4.4.3 KTU65 Firmware: New Nexus 5 Bug-Fixing Build or Pre-Lollipop Update?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 24, 2014 8:34 PM EST
New Android 4.4.3 version seems to be heading its way to LG Nexus 5 after an unaccounted firmware build version KTU65 online. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" that only Google engineers can view - is it another bug fixing patch or pre-Lollipop update coming very soon?
Android 4.4.3 Version
Currently, Android KitKat has three version - 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 - used by various manufacturers worldwide. Most high-class manufacturers release Android 4.4.2 version containing all the necessary improvements and bug fixes from Google for Android KitKat running devices.
According to Android Origin, a recent report from Myce revealed that one unit of LG Nexus 5 runs an unaccounted firmware version coded KTU65 and possibly the new version of Android KitKat. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" allowing engineers only at Google to view it.
Moreover, the name KTU65 suggested that it is a new KitKat version with the letters "K" and "T" appearing first on the code. Letter "U" on the code also suggests that it was made around the first quarter of 2014 for the LG Nexus 5. Google used letters to code for quarters since 2009 according to Myce beginning from "A" for Q1 2009.
There are no suggestions that KTU65 is an Android 4.5 or 5.0 Lollipop build as of this time and could only indicate Android 4.4.3 KitKat. But we cannot eliminate the possibility that KTU65 may be a pre-lollipop update which happened before on Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean as a pre-kitkat firmware.
We can expect that all Nexus devices running Android 4.4.2 KitKat are getting KTU65 firmware soon if Google certifies it as an update. Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 and 2013, and Nexus 10 are expected to receive an update once it has been approved.
However, Android 4.4.3 or KTU65 suggests no direct involvement with upcoming Nexus devices such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 8. Google always present a new Nexus device with the latest Android OS and for this year, rumours have been speculating Android 4.5/5.0 or Lollipop version.
Based on the report from Myce, KTU65 firmware is expected to be released starting from late March or April if Google approves it. The "65" numeral on the firmware code represents the 65th day in Q1 2014 making the new firmware freshly made on March 6th.
Google is allegedly replacing Nexus 7 line with new Nexus 8 slate starting in 2014. Nexus 8 is rumoured to be announced at Google I/O event running the upcoming Android 4.5 or 5.0 firmware.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Practical Reasons Why Choose Latest Nexus Smartphone
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand