Android 4.4.3 KTU65 Firmware: New Nexus 5 Bug-Fixing Build or Pre-Lollipop Update?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 24, 2014 8:34 PM EST
New Android 4.4.3 version seems to be heading its way to LG Nexus 5 after an unaccounted firmware build version KTU65 online. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" that only Google engineers can view - is it another bug fixing patch or pre-Lollipop update coming very soon?
Android 4.4.3 Version
Currently, Android KitKat has three version - 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 - used by various manufacturers worldwide. Most high-class manufacturers release Android 4.4.2 version containing all the necessary improvements and bug fixes from Google for Android KitKat running devices.
According to Android Origin, a recent report from Myce revealed that one unit of LG Nexus 5 runs an unaccounted firmware version coded KTU65 and possibly the new version of Android KitKat. It was tagged as "Google Restrict View" allowing engineers only at Google to view it.
Moreover, the name KTU65 suggested that it is a new KitKat version with the letters "K" and "T" appearing first on the code. Letter "U" on the code also suggests that it was made around the first quarter of 2014 for the LG Nexus 5. Google used letters to code for quarters since 2009 according to Myce beginning from "A" for Q1 2009.
There are no suggestions that KTU65 is an Android 4.5 or 5.0 Lollipop build as of this time and could only indicate Android 4.4.3 KitKat. But we cannot eliminate the possibility that KTU65 may be a pre-lollipop update which happened before on Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean as a pre-kitkat firmware.
We can expect that all Nexus devices running Android 4.4.2 KitKat are getting KTU65 firmware soon if Google certifies it as an update. Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 and 2013, and Nexus 10 are expected to receive an update once it has been approved.
However, Android 4.4.3 or KTU65 suggests no direct involvement with upcoming Nexus devices such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 8. Google always present a new Nexus device with the latest Android OS and for this year, rumours have been speculating Android 4.5/5.0 or Lollipop version.
Based on the report from Myce, KTU65 firmware is expected to be released starting from late March or April if Google approves it. The "65" numeral on the firmware code represents the 65th day in Q1 2014 making the new firmware freshly made on March 6th.
Google is allegedly replacing Nexus 7 line with new Nexus 8 slate starting in 2014. Nexus 8 is rumoured to be announced at Google I/O event running the upcoming Android 4.5 or 5.0 firmware.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Windows 9 Release: Reasons of Free Download for Windows 8 and Windows 7 Customers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date and Specs Speculations: Smartphone May Be Released in October or November 2014! – Report
- Windows Phone 8.1: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.S. and UK Status; How to Download and Install
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports