Sony Xperia SP Official Android 4.4 KitKat Won't Happen By 99%? Four Factors May Affect KitKat Update
By Ryan Inoyori | March 24, 2014 8:30 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP is among few selected smartphones eligible for Android 4.4.2 KitKat. A new firmware spotted running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean to fix bugs while factors can impede Android KitKat update for the device.
After being considered before for Android KitKat update, Sony Xperia SP got tagged as "under investigation." If you visit the Sony Support Web site for the smartphone, Android 4.1 is the factory OS, Android 4.3 as the current version and Android 4.4 KitKat future update subjected to investigation.
Xperia SP joined Xperia T, TX and V on the same status being investigated by Sony Mobile if eligible to get another major software update after Android 4.3. But Xperia SP is a lot fresher compared to T, TX and V for it was released in April last year and the update support will end by October 2014.
Delayed Firmware Update
Sony Mobile skipped Android 4.2.2 in favour of Android 4.3 for various Xperia smartphones including SP. However, the update rollout happened very late compared to the expected release which should have happened on December 2013. Android 4.3 firmware for Xperia SP underwent several changes, probably because of various bugs found.
PTCRB approved four different Android 4.3 firmware builds in several months from December 23rd to January 29th 2014. Sony pushed the firmware update during the mid-month of February 2014.
Firmware Build Version
December 23, 2013
January 7, 2014
January 16, 2014
January 29, 2014
Another Android 4.3
Apparently, some major bugs were found on the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for Xperia SP. 12.1.A.0.266 is the current available software for the device and owners have found certain problems such as constant lighting up of the notification illumination bar during voice calls and occasional crashes from apps that can only be fixed by reinstalling them from the Play Store.
French network carrier SFR approved the new firmware 12.1.A.1.192 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and said that it would be released a few days ago. Unfortunately, it hasn't been rolled out to fix several glitches on the initial Android 4.3 update.
Other changes from the new build include overall smoother graphical experience, performance and stability improvements and update on Sony Media apps.
Official Upgrade Plans
Sony Mobile posted an announcement on their blog site of the Android KitKat upgrade plans and did not include Xperia SP.
1. Live Android KitKat update for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z.
2. Xperia ZR expected by mid of Q2 2014
3. Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 updates under development
Xperia T, TX and V were only excluded on the latest announced of Android KitKat upgrade plan for the first half of 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Sony Xperia Z3X Expectations: Snapdragon 810 64-Bit Processor, No 4K Overheating And Longer 4K Videos
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money