Google Nexus 8 Release Update: Release Date Coming Soon, Exclusive Android 4.5 and 64-Bit CPU
By Precious Silva | March 24, 2014 8:29 PM EST
Following the long drought of news for Google's next Nexus device, Google Nexus 8 started surfacing once more. According to recent information, the tech giant may be gearing up into producing an 8-inch Nexus. This is to veer away from the saturated 7-inch slate industry and capitalize on the less explored 8-inch division. Reports also suggest that the Nexus 8 could come with a 64-bit CPU and Android 4.5 exclusively.
Hugo Barra, director of Product Management at Android, holds a new Nexus 7 tablet during a Google event at Dogpatch Studio in San Francisco, California, July 24, 2013.
It appears Google will be changing its Qualcomm's Snapdragon chipsets for the upcoming Nexus 8. According to a report by Highlight Press, the tech giant will be going for a new and more powerful 64-bit Intel CPU.
The first and second generations Nexus 7s have delivered some excellent features. Both generations have also been commended for their performance. Many analysts agree that the first two Nexus 7 tablets proved that Google can produce top notch tech gadgets but for a good price. However, provided the trend that Google started, the market has become saturated with Nexus 7 clones.
While Google remains a popular name in the 7-inch sector, the number of competitors and constant product releases threaten Google's position in the market. It will not be long before another name comes out on top. It always does in tech. It is one of the most unpredictable and highly competitive industries around.
This poses an important question. What does Google plan on doing with the increasing competition? How can it differentiate the brand from the rest of the Android manufacturers?
As the 7-inch tablet concept has become a cliché, it appears Google wants to capitalize on a lesser tapped sector. According to analysts, Google may get a good market share and financial standing with the 8-inch market. Not many tech manufacturers have ventured into it. Likewise, an 8-inch Nexus running on a 64-bit processor should be a breath of fresh air for many consumers.
Details about the Nexus 8 remain limited. Nonetheless, some of the reported specs include 64-buit Intel Moorefield CPU clocked at 2.33Ghz including a PowerVR G6430 GPU and is clocked at 2.33Ghz. It should also ship exclusively with Android 4.5 initially. According to reports, Android 4.5 will go by the Lollipop or Licorice. Google has yet to announce both. The latest and most believable lead is the announcement to be during the company's I/O event.
Android Geeks also reported that Google may be tapping HTC to produce the tablet.
For more information on Google's Nexus series, check out this video.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones