Australia Defeated by Pakistan in T20 World Cup 2014
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 24, 2014 6:25 PM EST
Australia, upon winning the toss, decided to field. The Pakistanis made a hasty start and totaled 191-5. The most significant innings came from Umar Akmal who scored 94 runs, off 54 deliveries. He put up flamboyant innings with nine fours and four sixes.
Umar Kamal, who passed a fitness test earlier in the day for a hamstring problem, stated, "It was the best knock of my career simply because we were under tremendous stress having lost our first match."
"The management backed me to go out and express myself with the bat and I played my natural game."
On the other innings, Australia suffered loss of two wickets right in the first over. Glen Maxwell was amazing as he scored 65 off 54 deliveries, but unfortunately, others could not support the contribution for a win.
Pakistan also lost two early wickets at the early stage. But the turn of the tide came when Umar Kamal came to bat and was nearly dismissed at the early end when Brad Hogg dropped the catch in boundary.
Hogg also gave an expensive over with 13 runs. The Aussies tried the slow left-arm of Finch, but that didn't prove to be effective as he conceded 18 runs in one over.
Pakistan's bowling side was opened by left-arm spinner Zulfiqar Babar who knocked back David Warner's off-stamp and even dissuaded Shane Watson, leading to two early fall.
Glenn Maxwell came next and put up a formidable innings, scoring half-century from just 18 deliveries.
Maxwell literally whiplashed medium pacer Bilawal Bhatti who conceded 30 runs from his first over. The 100-run partnership with Aaron Finch came in 51 balls, with eight fours and eight sixes.
Saeed Ajmal missed a chance at deep cover to oust Maxwell on 70 in the 11th over. However, Maxwell could not progress much further as he got out contributing 74 runs, off 47 deliveries.
Later, Australian captain George Bailey said, "It was an outstanding fightback from Maxwell and Finch to get ourselves back into the game after losing our two most destructive batters in the first over."
Veteran South African cricketer Jonty Rhodes said, "What an amazing game of cricket. The two sides put on a great spectacle, there was good batting and bowling, although the fielding wasn't great, but it was a very enjoyable performance."
"Umar Akmal's innings was very impressive. He can be quite impetuous playing ridiculous shots but he showed great maturity to get Pakistan to a big score."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports