Sydney Flash Floods Claim 1 Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 24, 2014 5:00 PM EST
The flash flood that hit Sydney on Monday afternoon has killed a man while two others were rushed to the hospital after being struck by lightning.
The flash floods were so intense that a number of cars parked in the streets floated.
An aerial view of a neighbourhood flooded by the Acre river which continues to rise from weeks of heavy rainfall in the region including northern Bolivia and eastern Peru, in Rio Branco, Acre state March 13, 2014. REUTERS/Odair Leal
The lone fatality, a male, was swept into a water pipe at the Lucas Heights Waste Management and Recycling Centre. Police have yet to fully recover the body and identify the man.
Sydney received 70mm of rain within just an hour as the storm hit before 2pm. Peakhurst recorded receiving 26mm and North Ryde, 15mm.
Those struck with lightning were also males, aged 19 years old and a man in his 50s.
Lightning struck the elder man while he was reportedly using a jackhammer, while the younger man was just standing in a puddle when he got hit.
There have been at least a number of people rescued from six cars caught in the flash flooding, according to Phil Campbell from the State Emergency Service.
"We have now had six flood rescues the SES has been called to this afternoon, most of those have been in south west Sydney and also around the inner city particularly in the Waterloo, Zetland area," he said.
"These have been for people who have driven their cars into localised flash flooding."
Another SES spokeswoman quoted by Nine MSN said they have received more than 200 calls for help.
Drivers are being warned against attempting to drive through the floodwaters.
"We've had reports of people who've been trapped in their cars so we send out our specialist flood rescue team," Mr Campbell said. "But the lesson, of course, is don't go in (to floods) in the first place."
"We're seeing these very fast-rising waters. So if you do encounter that sort of water the best thing to do is to find an alternate route home."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date