Sydney Flash Floods Claim 1 Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 24, 2014 5:00 PM EST
The flash flood that hit Sydney on Monday afternoon has killed a man while two others were rushed to the hospital after being struck by lightning.
The flash floods were so intense that a number of cars parked in the streets floated.
An aerial view of a neighbourhood flooded by the Acre river which continues to rise from weeks of heavy rainfall in the region including northern Bolivia and eastern Peru, in Rio Branco, Acre state March 13, 2014. REUTERS/Odair Leal
The lone fatality, a male, was swept into a water pipe at the Lucas Heights Waste Management and Recycling Centre. Police have yet to fully recover the body and identify the man.
Sydney received 70mm of rain within just an hour as the storm hit before 2pm. Peakhurst recorded receiving 26mm and North Ryde, 15mm.
Those struck with lightning were also males, aged 19 years old and a man in his 50s.
Lightning struck the elder man while he was reportedly using a jackhammer, while the younger man was just standing in a puddle when he got hit.
There have been at least a number of people rescued from six cars caught in the flash flooding, according to Phil Campbell from the State Emergency Service.
"We have now had six flood rescues the SES has been called to this afternoon, most of those have been in south west Sydney and also around the inner city particularly in the Waterloo, Zetland area," he said.
"These have been for people who have driven their cars into localised flash flooding."
Another SES spokeswoman quoted by Nine MSN said they have received more than 200 calls for help.
Drivers are being warned against attempting to drive through the floodwaters.
"We've had reports of people who've been trapped in their cars so we send out our specialist flood rescue team," Mr Campbell said. "But the lesson, of course, is don't go in (to floods) in the first place."
"We're seeing these very fast-rising waters. So if you do encounter that sort of water the best thing to do is to find an alternate route home."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown