Sydney Flash Floods Claim 1 Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 24, 2014 5:00 PM EST
The flash flood that hit Sydney on Monday afternoon has killed a man while two others were rushed to the hospital after being struck by lightning.
The flash floods were so intense that a number of cars parked in the streets floated.
An aerial view of a neighbourhood flooded by the Acre river which continues to rise from weeks of heavy rainfall in the region including northern Bolivia and eastern Peru, in Rio Branco, Acre state March 13, 2014. REUTERS/Odair Leal
The lone fatality, a male, was swept into a water pipe at the Lucas Heights Waste Management and Recycling Centre. Police have yet to fully recover the body and identify the man.
Sydney received 70mm of rain within just an hour as the storm hit before 2pm. Peakhurst recorded receiving 26mm and North Ryde, 15mm.
Those struck with lightning were also males, aged 19 years old and a man in his 50s.
Lightning struck the elder man while he was reportedly using a jackhammer, while the younger man was just standing in a puddle when he got hit.
There have been at least a number of people rescued from six cars caught in the flash flooding, according to Phil Campbell from the State Emergency Service.
"We have now had six flood rescues the SES has been called to this afternoon, most of those have been in south west Sydney and also around the inner city particularly in the Waterloo, Zetland area," he said.
"These have been for people who have driven their cars into localised flash flooding."
Another SES spokeswoman quoted by Nine MSN said they have received more than 200 calls for help.
Drivers are being warned against attempting to drive through the floodwaters.
"We've had reports of people who've been trapped in their cars so we send out our specialist flood rescue team," Mr Campbell said. "But the lesson, of course, is don't go in (to floods) in the first place."
"We're seeing these very fast-rising waters. So if you do encounter that sort of water the best thing to do is to find an alternate route home."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display