Sydney Flash Floods Claim 1 Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 24, 2014 5:00 PM EST
The flash flood that hit Sydney on Monday afternoon has killed a man while two others were rushed to the hospital after being struck by lightning.
The flash floods were so intense that a number of cars parked in the streets floated.
An aerial view of a neighbourhood flooded by the Acre river which continues to rise from weeks of heavy rainfall in the region including northern Bolivia and eastern Peru, in Rio Branco, Acre state March 13, 2014. REUTERS/Odair Leal
The lone fatality, a male, was swept into a water pipe at the Lucas Heights Waste Management and Recycling Centre. Police have yet to fully recover the body and identify the man.
Sydney received 70mm of rain within just an hour as the storm hit before 2pm. Peakhurst recorded receiving 26mm and North Ryde, 15mm.
Those struck with lightning were also males, aged 19 years old and a man in his 50s.
Lightning struck the elder man while he was reportedly using a jackhammer, while the younger man was just standing in a puddle when he got hit.
There have been at least a number of people rescued from six cars caught in the flash flooding, according to Phil Campbell from the State Emergency Service.
"We have now had six flood rescues the SES has been called to this afternoon, most of those have been in south west Sydney and also around the inner city particularly in the Waterloo, Zetland area," he said.
"These have been for people who have driven their cars into localised flash flooding."
Another SES spokeswoman quoted by Nine MSN said they have received more than 200 calls for help.
Drivers are being warned against attempting to drive through the floodwaters.
"We've had reports of people who've been trapped in their cars so we send out our specialist flood rescue team," Mr Campbell said. "But the lesson, of course, is don't go in (to floods) in the first place."
"We're seeing these very fast-rising waters. So if you do encounter that sort of water the best thing to do is to find an alternate route home."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop