Longmire's Tenure Extended for 2 More Years
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 24, 2014 4:40 PM EST
John Longmire's tenure as a coach for Sydney Swans was extended for two more years. This made him the longest-serving coach in Swan's history.
Longmire, who was under contract till 2015, has been extended till 2017 in a new deal with the club. By the end of the tenure, John's name will be placed in the third position on the club's all-time coaches list behind his two immediate predecessors, Paul Ross (202 games) and Rodney Eade (152 games).
The 43-year-old Longmire reached three final series and also won a premiership in the first three seasons as the man in-charge. He was also credited for 48 wins of his 75 matches during his coaching tenure with Swans.
Meanwhile, Swan's chairman, Andrew Pridham, was happy to retain Longmire till 2017. He said, "John has proven an outstanding senior coach since taking on the role in 2011."
"His work with the playing group and vision for our team is second to none."
"On and off the field, the club is in great shape, and shoring up John's future at until 2017 is another great step forward."
Swan's chief executive, Andrew Ireland, also said, "The club believes that having an eye for the future is equally as important as the here and now."
"So having John commit to at least the end of 2017 gives him and (football manager) Dean Moore, the opportunity to build the football department for not only this season, but seasons to come."
"John is an incredibly hard working coach who has overseen finals campaigns in each of his three seasons in charge."
"This is a strong and united playing group that continually sets high standards for themselves and much of that is owed to John's leadership."
Having 200 game careers with North Melbourne, Longmire joined the Swans in the year 2002 as an assistant coach.
His ability as a brilliant strategist and tactics earned this coveted position that he deserves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More