Researchers Hunt Meteorite Near St. Thomas, Ontario in Canada
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 24, 2014 4:34 PM EST
A group of 20 researchers continued to hunt on Sunday for the meteorite believed to have fallen in the fields of St. Thomas in Ontario, Canada.
Scientists at Western University in London, Ontario, on Tuesday said they caught images of a golf ball-sized meteorite blazing through the night sky way into the Earth. They believed it originated from an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
A hole in the roof of a cottage house, caused by a falling rock, is pictured in central Oslo March 12, 2012. The rock, believed to be a meteorite, and the resulting damage was discovered on March 11, 2012 by the owner of the house.
But Phil McCausland, a meteorite curator at Western, said locating it will be difficult since some of the fragments could be as big as only the size of a human thumb.
"It's going to be difficult to find the needle in the haystack," he said.
Patrick Herrmann, one of the searchers, told CTV Kitchener, said they will continue searching even with the frigid weather.
"I've never found anything in Ontario. I've been in other searches that were successful, but never here," Mr Herrmann said.
"If one of the people finds something, it's exciting for everyone," he added.
In Canada, meteorites become property of the landowner on whose land they were found. Researchers cautioned people to first seek a landowner's permission before searching their private land.
If found, researchers said they are excited over the possibilities of knowledge that will open up.
"It's going to tell us about the things that made the early solar system - what made the earth, what made the other planets," Peter Brown, director of Western's Centre for Planetary Science and Exploration, told Canoe News.
According to CBC, a freshly fallen meteorite isn't shiny and almost looks like black.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate