Abbott Point Dredge Violates Australia’s World Heritage Obligations
By Athena Yenko | March 24, 2014 3:44 PM EST
Environment Minister Greg Hunt violates Australia's World Heritage Obligations by consenting Abbott point dredging, Mackay Conservation Group (MCG) alleged on a proceeding launched in the Federal Court on Monday.
The case would not just redeem the Great Barrier Reef from exploit but the case will serve as milestone and precedent to future ministerial decisions.
"This is a test case. It's a sound case and the prospects of success are reasonably good we believe," EDO solicitor Michael Berkman told reporters in Brisbane on Monday.
In December 2013, Mr Hunt said that dredging at the Abbott Point underwent "some of the strictest conditions" in Australia history.
Hence, with the proceedings launched on Monday, "the world will be watching this case," MCG co-ordinator Ellen Roberts said.
"The World Heritage Committee has expressed concern over the Australian and Queensland governments' efforts to protect the reef, particularly from mega-port development and the associated dredging and dumping. Australia's Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act states that the Australian Government must protect World Heritage properties. A successful case could have implications for the protection of other," Ms Roberts said.
Meanwhile, the Queensland Recourses Council said that local community supports the Abbott Point dredging and reports of violation were just scaremongering.
"They've got the same appetite for information as I've seen throughout. They want independent, creditable scientific explanations on the effects to the reef from these projects," he said.
Council's chief executive Michael Roche said that through his interaction with tourism operators and marina operator, he was able to know the community's real concerns.
"I think there were two key points to come out of the visit. One is that people generally support developments like the one at Abbot Point. And two, we have found there is real appetite out there for more digestive scientific-based information about these issues."
Mr Roche explained that in as much as anti-mining groups were effective in making their messages heard, misinformation were also widespread. He said that anti-mining groups were just anti-mining and were just riding in the controversy surrounding the Great Barrier Reef to stop coal mining in general.
"A lot of anti-mining activists like to create fear and see the ports issue as an Achilles heel. By preventing Abbot Point dredging they are trying to prevent areas like the Galilee Basin getting coal out of the ground."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Housing Affordability Improves: Toronto, Vancouver Properties Most Pricey
- New Zealand PM John Key Dismisses 'Dirty Politics' Issue in TV Debate, Outshines David Cunliffe
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Malaysia And Australia Agree To Split MH 370 Search Costs
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide