Mitchell Johnson's Leg Infection Serious
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 24, 2014 3:15 PM EST
The toe infection that left Mitchell Johnson out of T20 seemed getting worse as the infection now started spreading his leg.
Cricket Australia further confirmed that Johnson may take more time to get better. But the main problem lies with the fact that the IPL season is due to start in April and no one would like to lose the lucrative $1.5 million deal for this season.
Cricket Australia further confirmed, "He is recovering from an infection that began in his right big toe, before affecting his right leg."
"He is being managed by a team of medical specialists."
"Depending on how quickly he recovers, Johnson's next scheduled commitment is the 2014 Indian Premier League where he will represent Kings XI Punjab, which finishes at the end of May."
Johnson got the infection from a cut during the team's last tour to South Africa where Aussies clinched the test series in Cape Town.
Being on rest, Johnson was replaced by 32-year-old Doug Bollinger from the Australian T20 squad. Doug linked up with the team in Bangladesh last week to face the match against Pakistan held on Sunday.
On the other news, experienced Test paceman Ryan Harris was "recovering well" after having a surgery on his right knee.
CA further said, "The aim will be to have Ryan fit to play in the Test series against Pakistan later in the year but medical staff will continue to assess his progress over the coming period."
Johnson's miss from T20 World Cup is a crucial loss. Though he was earlier expected to join IPL as he showed signs of quick recovery, the situation became a bit tense as the condition worsens.
Mitchell Johnson is supposed to join King's XI Punjab squad in the upcoming IPL season. He is one important bowler and his absence at this stage may cause a great damage to Punjab's bowling lineup.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports