Mitchell Johnson's Leg Infection Serious
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 24, 2014 3:15 PM EST
The toe infection that left Mitchell Johnson out of T20 seemed getting worse as the infection now started spreading his leg.
Cricket Australia further confirmed that Johnson may take more time to get better. But the main problem lies with the fact that the IPL season is due to start in April and no one would like to lose the lucrative $1.5 million deal for this season.
Cricket Australia further confirmed, "He is recovering from an infection that began in his right big toe, before affecting his right leg."
"He is being managed by a team of medical specialists."
"Depending on how quickly he recovers, Johnson's next scheduled commitment is the 2014 Indian Premier League where he will represent Kings XI Punjab, which finishes at the end of May."
Johnson got the infection from a cut during the team's last tour to South Africa where Aussies clinched the test series in Cape Town.
Being on rest, Johnson was replaced by 32-year-old Doug Bollinger from the Australian T20 squad. Doug linked up with the team in Bangladesh last week to face the match against Pakistan held on Sunday.
On the other news, experienced Test paceman Ryan Harris was "recovering well" after having a surgery on his right knee.
CA further said, "The aim will be to have Ryan fit to play in the Test series against Pakistan later in the year but medical staff will continue to assess his progress over the coming period."
Johnson's miss from T20 World Cup is a crucial loss. Though he was earlier expected to join IPL as he showed signs of quick recovery, the situation became a bit tense as the condition worsens.
Mitchell Johnson is supposed to join King's XI Punjab squad in the upcoming IPL season. He is one important bowler and his absence at this stage may cause a great damage to Punjab's bowling lineup.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop