Apple (AAPL) Release Round-up: New Wearable Devices, iPad Air, iPhone 6 and 2014 MacBook
By Precious Silva | March 24, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Apple has been reportedly gearing for a number of major releases this year. According to recent information, the tech giant will be releasing its next flagship phone, the iPhone 6, later this year. Likewise, the company will be unveiling its new wearable devices, iPad Air and 2014 Macbook Pro and Air series around the same time. What can people expect from these new and upcoming Apple devices?
Apple Inc CEO Tim Cook speaks about the new iPad Air and the iPad mini with Retnia display during an Apple event in San Francisco, California October 22, 2013.
Since Samsung's release of the Galaxy Gear and Google's announcement of its Glass, attention has now shifted to wearable devices. According to previous reports, Apple may be working on an iWatch. It appears the smartphone fad will be over, according to analysts. The pressure is now on tech manufacturers to produce more innovative devices like wearable tech.
"The pressure comes from companies like FitBit and Jawbone. ... These companies are making these devices and building an ecosystem around these wearables and Apple should certainly want to play in that," Rob Chira, a senior tech analyst at Evercore Partners, explained.
"Everyone is expecting Apple to come out with something this year. For one thing, it seems like a natural extension of the iOS ecosystem. It's not a big stretch to think that it's something they should be tapping into," Mr Chira added.
"Wearables need innovation and creativity and some direction, and people look to Apple to do that sort of thing," Mr Chira said further.
Apple is also set to update its iPad Air line this year. Ming-Chi Kuo from KGI Securities predicted that the tech company will launch the device at the end of the year. Likewise, the analyst forecasted that Apple may not release an iPad Pro model including an iPad Mini with Retina. Some analysts believe that Apple will be refreshing the iPad Air with an improved TouchID system and a more powerful A8 chip based on the 64-bit architecture.
The upcoming iPhone 6, on the other hand, has been receiving much of the attention against all other products. Recent reports indicate Apple plans on including a 13-MP camera, sapphire glass coating, solar cells and dynamic remote user interface. New patents also indicate Apple may allow users to control devices from afar and "spy" on their voicemails while being recorded.
Lastly, Apple will also be releasing a refreshed line of its MacBook Air and MacBook Pro series. Recent information cites patents about a solar-powered MacBook display and a 12-inch MacBook edition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 New Release Imminent as Apple Enters Mid-August Production with New 24-Karat Gold iPhone 6
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects