58 World Leaders Meet for Nuclear Summit in Hague, Likely to Discuss Crisis in Ukraine
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 24, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Some 58 world leaders are meeting on Monday and Tuesday to discuss global security at a time a crisis in Ukraine has developed.
This year's Nuclear Security Summit (NSS) has three themes including
Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans (L), Prime Minister Mark Rutte (C) and The Hague mayor Jozias Johannes van Aartsen (R) hold a news conference on the eve of a Nuclear Security Summit in The Hague March 23, 2014. The NSS on March 24-25, aimed at preventing nuclear terrorism, will bring together several world leaders. REUTERS/Yves Herman
- working to prevent nuclear terrorism by reducing the amount of dangerous nuclear material in the world
- improving the security of all nuclear material and radioactive sources
- improving international cooperation
The Irish Times reported an early draft of the official communique to be agreed by the participating countries which commits them to "continue to minimise the use of HEU [highly enriched uranium] through the conversion of reactor fuel from HEU to low-enriched uranium, where technically and economically feasible."
According to the Internationals Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) records there have been 16 instances of theft since 1993 involving either highly enriched uranium or plutonium that can be used in a potential nuclear bomb.
"The potential would be a very very lethal attack and so you have to prepare for that and you have to make sure that all the safeguards that are in place though agencies like the IAEA is really doing that work and making sure all safeguards are in place to prevent nuclear materials from being stolen," Thomas Renard, Senior Research Fellow at Egmont Royal Institute for International Relations, said.
In 2013, the IAEA said there were about 140 cases of missing or unauthorised use of nuclear and radioactive material reported.
But the ongoing crisis in Ukraine has been largely believed to dominate the 2014 NSS talks.
"It will be an opportunity for us to explain to each other what we are doing and where we are going, to coordinate our actions," Reuters quoted an unidentified senior EU official.
Russian President Vladimir Putin will not be attending the 2014 version of the NSS, but has instructed his foreign minister instead, Sergei Lavrov, to attend on his behalf. Mr Lavrov is expected to hold talks with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.
"I think these multilateral summits are an excellent opportunity for world leaders to discuss bilaterally and also amongst smaller groups of countries various issues which are high on their minds," Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte told The Associated Press.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying