'Divergent' Movie Earns $56M in its Weekend Premiere; Sequel to Come Out in 2015
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 24, 2014 2:46 PM EST
With a weekend premiere of $56 million, "Divergent" tops the box office according to studio estimates. And with the movie seeming to be doing well compared to other recent young adult movie flops, reports say that the executive producers are already talking about filming the dystopian movie sequel.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 21.
"Divergent" Premiere: Shailene Woodley Dazzles, Kate Winslet Wears Red, but Maggie Q Steals the Limelight
Prior to the March 21 release of Divergent, starring Shailene Woodley, on Thursday, March 20, the ticket sales from U.S. and Canada had amounted to $4.9 million. And in its opening in theaters on Friday, March 21, Variety reported that the Lionsgate-Summit movie dominated the box office with $22.8 million.
Alongside Divergent, "Muppet's Most Wanted," starring Tina Fey and Ty Burell, also premiered but only got $4.7 million on Friday. For its weekend premiere, however, it moved up and reached $16.5 million. Still, according to Forbes, the movie needs "massive legs" to at least surmount to its $50 million filming budget.
"God's Not Dead," starring Dean Cain and Kevin Sorbo, is the other new movie release that surprisingly earned $2.8 million on Friday and was number 5 on the box office weekend premiere.
The movie producers of the Divergent series already has a tentative schedule for the release of "Insurgent" and "Allegiant," which are the second and third installment of the dystopian movie.
According to Reuters, the go signal was given for "Insurgent" on Friday, March 21. Lions Gate plans to release the sequels on March 2015 and March 2016.
Reports say that "Divergent" is still way below "Twilight" with $69 million in 2008 and "Hunger Games" with $152.9 million on its opening weekend in 2012.
In the meantime, however, Divergent is expected to gain more sales in the coming weeks to cross its $85 million movie budget.
The Veronica Roth's best-selling Young Adult series is reported to be currently showing in 3,936 locations with teens as the primary target audience. On its theater release, statistics claim that about half of the theatergoers were above the age of 25, which is not the initial projection.
For those who want to know what movie is in the box office list, here is the Top 10 posted by Forbes from Rentrak:
2. The Muppet's Most Wanted
3. Mr. Peabody And Sherman
4. 300: Rise Of An Empire
5. God's Not Dead
6. Need For Speed
7. Grand Budapest Hotel
9. The Lego Movie
10. Tyler Perry's The Si
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy