'Divergent' Movie Earns $56M in its Weekend Premiere; Sequel to Come Out in 2015
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 24, 2014 2:46 PM EST
With a weekend premiere of $56 million, "Divergent" tops the box office according to studio estimates. And with the movie seeming to be doing well compared to other recent young adult movie flops, reports say that the executive producers are already talking about filming the dystopian movie sequel.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 21.
"Divergent" Premiere: Shailene Woodley Dazzles, Kate Winslet Wears Red, but Maggie Q Steals the Limelight
Prior to the March 21 release of Divergent, starring Shailene Woodley, on Thursday, March 20, the ticket sales from U.S. and Canada had amounted to $4.9 million. And in its opening in theaters on Friday, March 21, Variety reported that the Lionsgate-Summit movie dominated the box office with $22.8 million.
Alongside Divergent, "Muppet's Most Wanted," starring Tina Fey and Ty Burell, also premiered but only got $4.7 million on Friday. For its weekend premiere, however, it moved up and reached $16.5 million. Still, according to Forbes, the movie needs "massive legs" to at least surmount to its $50 million filming budget.
"God's Not Dead," starring Dean Cain and Kevin Sorbo, is the other new movie release that surprisingly earned $2.8 million on Friday and was number 5 on the box office weekend premiere.
The movie producers of the Divergent series already has a tentative schedule for the release of "Insurgent" and "Allegiant," which are the second and third installment of the dystopian movie.
According to Reuters, the go signal was given for "Insurgent" on Friday, March 21. Lions Gate plans to release the sequels on March 2015 and March 2016.
Reports say that "Divergent" is still way below "Twilight" with $69 million in 2008 and "Hunger Games" with $152.9 million on its opening weekend in 2012.
In the meantime, however, Divergent is expected to gain more sales in the coming weeks to cross its $85 million movie budget.
The Veronica Roth's best-selling Young Adult series is reported to be currently showing in 3,936 locations with teens as the primary target audience. On its theater release, statistics claim that about half of the theatergoers were above the age of 25, which is not the initial projection.
For those who want to know what movie is in the box office list, here is the Top 10 posted by Forbes from Rentrak:
2. The Muppet's Most Wanted
3. Mr. Peabody And Sherman
4. 300: Rise Of An Empire
5. God's Not Dead
6. Need For Speed
7. Grand Budapest Hotel
9. The Lego Movie
10. Tyler Perry's The Si
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James