Floyd Mayweather To Fight Amir Khan Before He Retires?
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 24, 2014 1:58 PM EST
Amir Khan's trainer, Virgil Hunter, has high hopes that his student will finally get his dream of fighting Floyd Mayweather in 2015. Could Mayweather really fight Khan before he retires? Hunter is optimistic.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
A report by Boxing News 24 said that Hunter thinks that Khan will get his fight against Mayweather in 2015. By that time, the trainer said that Khan will be all set and more equipped to face the undefeated boxer. It is anticipated that the British boxer will have two or three more fights before he squares off with Mayweather.
"I believe Floyd Mayweather will fight Amir Khan next year," Hunter said. "I believe it's a blessing in disguise because Amir Khan will have another couple of fight and 2-3 more training camps," he added. Hunter said that Khan will be more dangerous when he faces Floyd by then.
Mayweather Six-Fight Contract with Showtime
Mayweather's upcoming fight against Marcos Maidana on May 3 is the third in his six-fight contract with Showtime. He fought and triumphed over Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in May and September in 2013, respectively. It has been reported that Mayweather will also fight twice in 2014, once in May and in September. According to a news report by The Associated Press via Ring TV, Mayweather's last fight will be in September 2015. With three more fights remaining in his multi-million deal with Showtime, who else, do you, think deserves a shot at his unbeaten record, given that he wins over Maidana on May 3. In all likelihood, Mayweather might really end up fighting Khan sooner or later because he said so himself.
Mayweather on Khan: 'The fight will happen'
Khan said that he spoke with Mayweather after he had announced his May 3 opponent. They talked about making their fight happen so the British boxer still hasn't lost his chance of fighting the Grand Rapids native.
"Floyd said 'How are you doing, champ,'" Khan told Ringside as reported by Sky Sports. "I said 'I'm alright, but why didn't you take the fight, what was the issue,'" Khan added.
Mayweather told Khan that he respect him because he is a great fighter. The 37-year-old undefeated boxer said that their fight will happen eventually. "I have a few more fights left in my career and it will happen between me and you - just not yet," said Mayweather.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports