Floyd Mayweather To Fight Amir Khan Before He Retires?
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 24, 2014 1:58 PM EST
Amir Khan's trainer, Virgil Hunter, has high hopes that his student will finally get his dream of fighting Floyd Mayweather in 2015. Could Mayweather really fight Khan before he retires? Hunter is optimistic.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
A report by Boxing News 24 said that Hunter thinks that Khan will get his fight against Mayweather in 2015. By that time, the trainer said that Khan will be all set and more equipped to face the undefeated boxer. It is anticipated that the British boxer will have two or three more fights before he squares off with Mayweather.
"I believe Floyd Mayweather will fight Amir Khan next year," Hunter said. "I believe it's a blessing in disguise because Amir Khan will have another couple of fight and 2-3 more training camps," he added. Hunter said that Khan will be more dangerous when he faces Floyd by then.
Mayweather Six-Fight Contract with Showtime
Mayweather's upcoming fight against Marcos Maidana on May 3 is the third in his six-fight contract with Showtime. He fought and triumphed over Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in May and September in 2013, respectively. It has been reported that Mayweather will also fight twice in 2014, once in May and in September. According to a news report by The Associated Press via Ring TV, Mayweather's last fight will be in September 2015. With three more fights remaining in his multi-million deal with Showtime, who else, do you, think deserves a shot at his unbeaten record, given that he wins over Maidana on May 3. In all likelihood, Mayweather might really end up fighting Khan sooner or later because he said so himself.
Mayweather on Khan: 'The fight will happen'
Khan said that he spoke with Mayweather after he had announced his May 3 opponent. They talked about making their fight happen so the British boxer still hasn't lost his chance of fighting the Grand Rapids native.
"Floyd said 'How are you doing, champ,'" Khan told Ringside as reported by Sky Sports. "I said 'I'm alright, but why didn't you take the fight, what was the issue,'" Khan added.
Mayweather told Khan that he respect him because he is a great fighter. The 37-year-old undefeated boxer said that their fight will happen eventually. "I have a few more fights left in my career and it will happen between me and you - just not yet," said Mayweather.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones