NSW Dress Code: No Jandals Policy in Public Schools Include Teachers
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 24, 2014 1:47 PM EST
New South Wales released over the weekend the state's dress code for public school teachers. The code bans the tutors from wearing jandals, T-shirts, any apparel with alcohol advertising and daggy clothes when at school.
Obama has carefully avoided getting involved, but his education reform agenda has supported some of the very things Chicago teachers are striking against.
The new regulation is expected to affect about 70,000 public school teachers in NSW.
NSW Minister for Education Adrian Piccoli said the dress code aims to boost the teaching profession's status.
Mr Piccoli explained, "Wearing appropriate dress helps teachers maintain respect and credibility with students, parents and the broader community ... Obviously, what a teacher might wear for sports events or metal work is different to what is required for parent-teacher interviews or an end-of-year awards ceremony."
For the latter occasion, the minister said a suit and tie or trousers and jacket are more suitable attire.
The new code takes effect at the start of term 2 of the current year.
In contrast, teachers at private and Catholic schools in NSW have been dressing formally for years. For instance, at the King's School in Parramatta, male teachers must wear shirt and ties when in school, while female teachers must wear dress like a female executive.
Others even wear business suits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report