Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Handsome Royal Australian Air Force Pilot Russell Adams is the Newest Internet Sensation
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 24, 2014 9:58 AM EST
If Natalia Poklonskaya, the new attorney-general of Crimea, is the Internet darling of Japanese netizens, her male version in Australia is Lieutenant Russell Adams from the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), the handsome pilot involved in the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 jet.
He was the leader of the RAAF P3 Orion that scoured the southern Indian ocean in search of the floating objects captured by an Australian satellite.
Like the beautiful Crimean lawyer who gained admirers all over the world after just one press conference, Mr Adams likewise became an Internet sensation after he talked to media on the results of the search, with comments on social media focused on his movie star looks.
Despite two days of no results, Mr Adams is optimistic, telling media on Friday after landing at the RAAD Pearce base, "We've got a lot of hope and if the conditions stay as they are, hopefully, we'll find something soon."
Here are some of the comments on Mr Adams compiled by News.com.au.
"Gosh that Australian Air Force guy Russell Adams on the news is a hottay mallottay!! #sort"
"Captain Russell Adams from the Australian MH370 search team serving up Top Gun realness."
"In another country, he'd be a model. In Australia, he's just Russell Adams ... pilot."
"I'd like to debrief Russell Adams."
In Twitter, Angus Livingston wrote, "Well, obviously, if you want to build a model plane, you need a model pilot."
Brenna Wilson asked, "Can we receive all updates on the Malaysian flight from Australian Flight Lieutenant Russell Adams, please?"
Perth Now warned, "Step aside Hugh Jackman, because the world has fallen in love with another Aussie hunk."
Men in uniform, especially those with handsome faces and great physiques, attract people in general. However, the sudden mass adulation could result in the once anonymous military men becoming an instant celebrity and developing a messianic complex, thinking he holds the key to solving the country's political and military problems.
Such was the case of Gregorio "Gringo" Honasan, a former aide-de-camp of then Philippine Defense Secretary Juan Ponce-Enrile who was one of the allies of former dictator and President Ferdinand Marcos. Mr Enrile was one of the key players of the EDSA Revolution in 1986 and because of Mr Honasan's media exposure, he eventually became a senator.
However, he also led several military uprising against the government of President Corazon Aquino and became a fugitive, although he subsequently regained his freedom.
Under ex-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Lieutenant Antonio Trillanes IV led the takeover of a major hotel in the business district to overthrow the Arroyo-led government. Like Mr Honasan, he was jailed for the attempt, run as senator while in prison and won, and is now a free man and a legislator.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015