Boxing News 2014: Do You Want Your Latest Issue of Black Enterprise Magazine Autographed by Cover Boy Floyd Mayweather Jr.?
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 24, 2014 9:49 AM EST
American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr is the cover boy of the Black Enterprise Magazine for its March 2014 issue.
In a tweet on Saturday, he promised to personally autograph his fans' copy of the magazine if he sees them with the issue.
Floyd Mayweather and Saul Alvarez come face to face ahead of their super fight on September 14th. [Reuters]
The issue's cover story is titled The Champ Wins in the Ring and in Business. Its release is timely as a drum-up to his forthcoming fight with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on May 3 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Besides the pound-for-pound title, Mayweather is also called Money May because of his business acumen, which makes him a perfect poster boy for black businessmen.
The 35-year-old boxer is the highest-paid athlete in the world, said ESPN magazine, based on his $45 million prize money from his last fight with Miguel Cotto. The purse broke the previous record in Nevada of $30 million, thrice held by fellow American boxer Mike Tyson in his bouts vs Evander Holyfield and Frank Bruno.
His popularity goes beyond pay-per-view fights since he counts 2.8 million followers in Twitter, 18,000 subscribers in YouTube with almost 5 million views, 1.4 million Facebook fans and 300,000 Instagram followers.
Mayweather's promise to personally sign the issue of Black Enterprise magazine is yet another social media savvy displayed by the ring champ which will surely add more followers to those four accounts.
Meanwhile, his May 3 opponent thinks the reason why Money May picked him over British boxer Amir Khan despite the latter being the winner in an online poll created by Mayweather is to avenge the loss of the pound-for-pound king's friend's loss.
Maidana beat Adrien Broner in a 12-round unanimous decision in December 2013.
However, Boxing News believes Mayweather won't be able to avenge Broner's loss even if he defeats Maidana. "Only Broner can do that, and I don't think he's got the skills, power or size to accomplish that task. Broner has also gone quiet about wanting the Maidana rematch, so it's possible that we'll never see a rematch between them," wrote Boxing News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones