Police Arrest Four Suspected Indian Mujahideen Militants
March 24, 2014 1:18 AM EST
Police have arrested four suspected Islamist militants, including an aide of the leader of a militant group accused of several bomb blasts, who they said could be plotting an attack ahead of elections starting next month.
Police escort Yasin Bhatkal (head covered), the key operative of the Indian Mujahideen militant group, outside a court in New Delhi August 30, 2013
Zia-Ur-Rahman, alias Waqas, was arrested on Saturday in Ajmer in Rajasthan, the second major blow for the Indian Mujahideen after the capture of founder leader Yasin Bhatkal in Nepal last year.
Three other suspected members of the group were also arrested with a large quantity of explosives, police said.
Waqas, who police said was a Pakistani national, was wanted for bomb blasts in Mumbai, Pune and Hyderabad over the past several years, officials said.
The Indian Mujahideen militant group has been accused of dozens of bomb attacks over recent years. The group is also suspected of being behind an attack on a rally by prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi last October that killed six people and wounded more than 80.
Police said the latest arrests were made possible after they gathered information from two arrested Indian Mujahideen militants including Bhatkal.
"Their target was a terror strike," S.N. Srivastava, a top police official in New Delhi, told a news conference on Sunday, but declined to comment when asked if Narendra Modi was being targeted, saying they needed further investigation.
"Any important event, including elections, could be targeted."
Interior Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the arrest of Waqas was a great success as he was a crucial link to the group.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report