Satyamev Jayate 2: Aamir Khan Seeks Reforms and Public Initiative to Quell Corruption
By Arijita Bhowmik | March 23, 2014 10:48 PM EST
As assumed earlier, the fourth episode of "Satyamev Jayate" season 2 dwelled on the grave condition of corruption in the country.
While corruption, black money, scams and frauds are often-debated topics these days, Khan pointed out that the evil is deep-rooted in the Indian society.
The episode highlighted Karnataka's infamous Bellary mining scam, which amounted to a massive fraud of ₹16,000 crore and found three Chief Ministers of the state and over 700 officials - including IAS officers - guilty, informed retired Justice Santosh Hegde. This apart, the CWG scam, 2G scam and numerous other scandals were also mentioned.
Right to Information (RTI) is a basic right of every citizen and enables one to question the government authorities. This has been the most well-known tool to tackle the issue of corruption but unfortunately many are unaware of it.
But Shankar Singh of Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan proposed further extension to RTI with Public Services Grievances Act, which would enable people's complaints to be addressed in less time and offer valid solution with necessary punishment to the wrongdoers.
Social audit adopted by Andhra Pradesh came across as the most apt solution to the issue. Crusader Soumya Kidambi revealed that with the help of social audit 3,000 corrupt officials have been terminated and over ₹200 crores have been retrieved in the state.
However, the model which requires ready political will, failed to work in Rajasthan where people in power pressurised the model to stop.
Khan proposed that the implementation of social audit in every state is necessary, to bring the transparency into the system.
Another successful model of corruption-free India was seen in a Kerala village, which depends on transparent local governance or the panchayat. This model involves the locals' involvement in the administration. Right from the development works and funds allotment, everything is open to the villagers.
TR Raghunandan informed the model could be feasible in cities with specific society groups. With local residents being involved in the functioning of their area, transparency on funds and work is a possibility.
However, Public Services Grievances Act, social audit and local governance could only function if every individual takes responsibilities themselves and make an effort to strive for a better society. Khan ended the episode with the note "eternal vigilance is the price of democracy".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?