Satyamev Jayate 2: Aamir Khan Seeks Reforms and Public Initiative to Quell Corruption
By Arijita Bhowmik | March 23, 2014 10:48 PM EST
As assumed earlier, the fourth episode of "Satyamev Jayate" season 2 dwelled on the grave condition of corruption in the country.
While corruption, black money, scams and frauds are often-debated topics these days, Khan pointed out that the evil is deep-rooted in the Indian society.
The episode highlighted Karnataka's infamous Bellary mining scam, which amounted to a massive fraud of ₹16,000 crore and found three Chief Ministers of the state and over 700 officials - including IAS officers - guilty, informed retired Justice Santosh Hegde. This apart, the CWG scam, 2G scam and numerous other scandals were also mentioned.
Right to Information (RTI) is a basic right of every citizen and enables one to question the government authorities. This has been the most well-known tool to tackle the issue of corruption but unfortunately many are unaware of it.
But Shankar Singh of Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan proposed further extension to RTI with Public Services Grievances Act, which would enable people's complaints to be addressed in less time and offer valid solution with necessary punishment to the wrongdoers.
Social audit adopted by Andhra Pradesh came across as the most apt solution to the issue. Crusader Soumya Kidambi revealed that with the help of social audit 3,000 corrupt officials have been terminated and over ₹200 crores have been retrieved in the state.
However, the model which requires ready political will, failed to work in Rajasthan where people in power pressurised the model to stop.
Khan proposed that the implementation of social audit in every state is necessary, to bring the transparency into the system.
Another successful model of corruption-free India was seen in a Kerala village, which depends on transparent local governance or the panchayat. This model involves the locals' involvement in the administration. Right from the development works and funds allotment, everything is open to the villagers.
TR Raghunandan informed the model could be feasible in cities with specific society groups. With local residents being involved in the functioning of their area, transparency on funds and work is a possibility.
However, Public Services Grievances Act, social audit and local governance could only function if every individual takes responsibilities themselves and make an effort to strive for a better society. Khan ended the episode with the note "eternal vigilance is the price of democracy".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories