Satyamev Jayate 2: Aamir Khan Seeks Reforms and Public Initiative to Quell Corruption
By Arijita Bhowmik | March 23, 2014 10:48 PM EST
As assumed earlier, the fourth episode of "Satyamev Jayate" season 2 dwelled on the grave condition of corruption in the country.
While corruption, black money, scams and frauds are often-debated topics these days, Khan pointed out that the evil is deep-rooted in the Indian society.
The episode highlighted Karnataka's infamous Bellary mining scam, which amounted to a massive fraud of ₹16,000 crore and found three Chief Ministers of the state and over 700 officials - including IAS officers - guilty, informed retired Justice Santosh Hegde. This apart, the CWG scam, 2G scam and numerous other scandals were also mentioned.
Right to Information (RTI) is a basic right of every citizen and enables one to question the government authorities. This has been the most well-known tool to tackle the issue of corruption but unfortunately many are unaware of it.
But Shankar Singh of Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan proposed further extension to RTI with Public Services Grievances Act, which would enable people's complaints to be addressed in less time and offer valid solution with necessary punishment to the wrongdoers.
Social audit adopted by Andhra Pradesh came across as the most apt solution to the issue. Crusader Soumya Kidambi revealed that with the help of social audit 3,000 corrupt officials have been terminated and over ₹200 crores have been retrieved in the state.
However, the model which requires ready political will, failed to work in Rajasthan where people in power pressurised the model to stop.
Khan proposed that the implementation of social audit in every state is necessary, to bring the transparency into the system.
Another successful model of corruption-free India was seen in a Kerala village, which depends on transparent local governance or the panchayat. This model involves the locals' involvement in the administration. Right from the development works and funds allotment, everything is open to the villagers.
TR Raghunandan informed the model could be feasible in cities with specific society groups. With local residents being involved in the functioning of their area, transparency on funds and work is a possibility.
However, Public Services Grievances Act, social audit and local governance could only function if every individual takes responsibilities themselves and make an effort to strive for a better society. Khan ended the episode with the note "eternal vigilance is the price of democracy".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate