Another Aviation Disaster: Small Cessna Jet Crashes in Brisbane, Kills 4 Skydivers & Pilot
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 22, 2014 9:36 PM EST
The global aviation industry and governments have yet to resolve the mystery of the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 when another air tragedy occurred on Saturday.
Courier Mail reported that the Cessna 206 crashed at Caboolture Airport at about 11:30 am and burst into flames at the airfield north of Brisbane, Queensland. The air mishap killed all five people aboard the small jet, namely the male pilot, two male skydiving instructors and a male and female skydiver.
People help rescue workers extinguish a fire after a plane crashed into a neighbourhood in Ishaga district, an outskirt of Nigeria's commercial capital Lagos June 3, 2012.
The ill-fated aircraft is owned by a skydiving company in Bribie Island.
According to Superintendent Michael Brady, the Cessna crashed during takeoff, hitting the ground at the end of the runway. He said the cause of the accident is still unknown, but the impact of the crash was so strong that people inside the aircraft would not survive it.
Family members of the people aboard the jet were nearby, but it is not sure if they witnessed the mishap.
But there are other witnesses, such as Craig McKinlay who was just 400 metres from the accident site. He recalled hearing a loud explosion and upon turning around to find the source of the noise, he saw a huge red black fireball.
Mr McKinlay added that the Cessna was scattered, with the middle part flattened and burnt, but the engine was left standing. The jet's panels were thrown 10 metres from the wreckage.
Another witness was Craig Thomas who was skydiving then, about 500 metres away in the air so he couldn't tell initially if it was a plane or a chopper that was burning.
The Air Transport Safety Bureau, police and forensic crash investigators are still investigating the accident. The Caboolture Airport will remain close until Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 Conspiracy Theory: CIA and Ukraine Together ‘Orchestrated’ Boeing 777’s Shot Down; Russian Media Accuses the U.S.- Report
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June