Another Aviation Disaster: Small Cessna Jet Crashes in Brisbane, Kills 4 Skydivers & Pilot
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 22, 2014 9:36 PM EST
The global aviation industry and governments have yet to resolve the mystery of the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 when another air tragedy occurred on Saturday.
Courier Mail reported that the Cessna 206 crashed at Caboolture Airport at about 11:30 am and burst into flames at the airfield north of Brisbane, Queensland. The air mishap killed all five people aboard the small jet, namely the male pilot, two male skydiving instructors and a male and female skydiver.
People help rescue workers extinguish a fire after a plane crashed into a neighbourhood in Ishaga district, an outskirt of Nigeria's commercial capital Lagos June 3, 2012.
The ill-fated aircraft is owned by a skydiving company in Bribie Island.
According to Superintendent Michael Brady, the Cessna crashed during takeoff, hitting the ground at the end of the runway. He said the cause of the accident is still unknown, but the impact of the crash was so strong that people inside the aircraft would not survive it.
Family members of the people aboard the jet were nearby, but it is not sure if they witnessed the mishap.
But there are other witnesses, such as Craig McKinlay who was just 400 metres from the accident site. He recalled hearing a loud explosion and upon turning around to find the source of the noise, he saw a huge red black fireball.
Mr McKinlay added that the Cessna was scattered, with the middle part flattened and burnt, but the engine was left standing. The jet's panels were thrown 10 metres from the wreckage.
Another witness was Craig Thomas who was skydiving then, about 500 metres away in the air so he couldn't tell initially if it was a plane or a chopper that was burning.
The Air Transport Safety Bureau, police and forensic crash investigators are still investigating the accident. The Caboolture Airport will remain close until Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370: Police Dragged and Punched Families of Victims
- Armageddon Nears as River Turns Bloody Red in Wenzhou, Locals Believe
- Malaysia Airlines Flights: MH17 Black Box Data Suggests Missile Attack; MH17 and MH370 Leads Malaysia Airlines to ‘Renaming and Rebranding’
- Pm Abbott Goes Nuts over MH17 Mission
- MH17: Teen Brags about Mascara Looted from Victim
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]