Evasi0n7 iOS 7.1 Jailbreak Release Date Nears as Dev @Winocm Unlocks A4 Chip-Series iPhone 4?
By Erik Pineda | March 22, 2014 8:25 PM EST
Could it be that Team Evad3rs is in the process of prying open soon Apple's iOS 7.1 as popular developer @Winocm paved the way by proving that the freshly-unleashed mobile OS can be unlocked via the 4-year old iPhone 4?
The dev tweeted on March 20 a link to an over two-minute YouTube clip (viewable here) that showed the ageing iPhone running on untethered iOS 7.1 jailbreak. Take note that the iPhone 4 is powered by an A4 chip and @Winocm's latest efforts somehow sparked speculations that jailbreaking iOS 7.1 will only work on older iPhone models.
Per Redmond Pie, the jailbroken iPhone 4 is hardly surprising as "older models are inherently easier to hack. The tech blog site added that what @Winocm proved was significant as "it shows that work is being done to try and find exploits."
Prior to the release of the clip, the jailbreaking community has express concerns that Apple may have successfully fixed the iOS 7 exploit that Team Evad3rs has been using to get around the mobile platform
Some experts even predicted that it could take a while before another jailbreak will be issued by the famed developers or the unlocking tool may not come at all.
But essentially, @Winocm has debunked the myth that iOS 7.1 is now hack-proof and the liberated iPhone 4 is simply the start. Redmond Pie also noted on its report that experimenting first with the legacy iPhone model is very much like @Winocm.
"If you've followed the work of @Winocm in the past, you'll probably be aware that he tends to look at older devices and pieces of firmware," said the same report.
But will the hacking achievement further prosper as jailbreak fans are duly advised that for the moment, tinkering inside of iOS 7.1 will only work on iOS devices that run on A4 chips? That means the feat of a liberated iPhone 4 can only be replicated on the first-gen iPad.
CNET said in a report that it is not a dead-end at all for jailbreak fans as the likelihood is there that @Winocm will soon move forward and try out his work on iPhones, iPods and iPads that run on A5 processing chips.
There are claims that "@Winocm and fellow jailbreaker @iH8sn0w are working to crack devices powered by the A5 chip, said CNET pointing to a YouTube account 'All Things Jailbreak' as source of the information.
As for the would-be source of the much-awaited iOS 7.1 jailbreak, the Team Evad3rs, they remain silent on the matter, perhaps opting to keep under wraps the meaty details or when the next Evasi0n7 build release would be.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports