Natalia Poklonskaya: Crimea’s ‘Gorgeous’ Attorney General Becomes Internet Sensation; Love-Struck Japanese Trigger Anime Fan Art Frenzy [PHOTOS]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 22, 2014 7:38 PM EST
What does it take for the Japanese to suddenly and impulsively be interested in the Crimea Crisis?
One gorgeous Attorney General - that's it!
Natalia Poklonskaya was recently appointed as the Attorney General of Crimea. Following her appointment, the 33-year-old gave a no-nonsense talk to reporters describing the EuroMaidan revolt as an "anti-constitutional coup" and that she did not "propagate Nazism, unlike certain regime functionaries in Kiev".
Little did she know that she would become an Internet sensation overnight and people from far off places, such as Japan - who wouldn't have understood one word of what she said - would start admiring her not for what she had become, but for what she looked like.
The video of the press conference has gone viral since it hit Japan's YouTube. One tweet, which simply states "Crimea's New Attorney General oh oh oh..." included the link to the press conference and has been retweeted nearly 10,000 times.
— Affechan-Hausman (@Affechan) March 14, 2014
The so called "tough talk" of her conference was neither subtitled in Japanese, nor translated in English, giving the love-struck Japanese gamers to concentrate on other things that was more attention grabbing. The video was viewed half-a-million times at the time of writing this article. There is now an explosion on Japanese art site Pixiv, where Poklonskaya anime fan art are going viral.
Most of the pictures are drawn in a Manga (Japanese comics) style, and grotesquely over-emphasize the "cute" or "kawaii" aspects of Poklonskaya's appearance, as Global Voices notes.
After first appearing on the Japanese magna artist repository Pixiv, the images quickly spread through RuNet forums and imagebords, like Pikabu.ru, inspiring a spate of variant memes of the original pictures.
A newly created Twitter account of Poklonskaya (there is a fair chance it is a fake account) has thanked people for the arts. "Thank you for the support and the art. All the drawings are wonderfulJ" a tweet from the account said.
RocketNews25 aptly describes what just happened: "Where there's love-struck Japanese men pondering the ideal forms of female beauty, anime artwork can't be far behind."
Picture such as this posted on her Facebook fan page can only make Japanese love grow fonder:
Here are some Poklonskaya anime fan arts going viral:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Makes First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Australia Braces For 'Catastrophic Conditions' As Bushfire Season Begins
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand