Natalia Poklonskaya: Crimea’s ‘Gorgeous’ Attorney General Becomes Internet Sensation; Love-Struck Japanese Trigger Anime Fan Art Frenzy [PHOTOS]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 22, 2014 7:38 PM EST
What does it take for the Japanese to suddenly and impulsively be interested in the Crimea Crisis?
One gorgeous Attorney General - that's it!
Natalia Poklonskaya was recently appointed as the Attorney General of Crimea. Following her appointment, the 33-year-old gave a no-nonsense talk to reporters describing the EuroMaidan revolt as an "anti-constitutional coup" and that she did not "propagate Nazism, unlike certain regime functionaries in Kiev".
Little did she know that she would become an Internet sensation overnight and people from far off places, such as Japan - who wouldn't have understood one word of what she said - would start admiring her not for what she had become, but for what she looked like.
The video of the press conference has gone viral since it hit Japan's YouTube. One tweet, which simply states "Crimea's New Attorney General oh oh oh..." included the link to the press conference and has been retweeted nearly 10,000 times.
— Affechan-Hausman (@Affechan) March 14, 2014
The so called "tough talk" of her conference was neither subtitled in Japanese, nor translated in English, giving the love-struck Japanese gamers to concentrate on other things that was more attention grabbing. The video was viewed half-a-million times at the time of writing this article. There is now an explosion on Japanese art site Pixiv, where Poklonskaya anime fan art are going viral.
Most of the pictures are drawn in a Manga (Japanese comics) style, and grotesquely over-emphasize the "cute" or "kawaii" aspects of Poklonskaya's appearance, as Global Voices notes.
After first appearing on the Japanese magna artist repository Pixiv, the images quickly spread through RuNet forums and imagebords, like Pikabu.ru, inspiring a spate of variant memes of the original pictures.
A newly created Twitter account of Poklonskaya (there is a fair chance it is a fake account) has thanked people for the arts. "Thank you for the support and the art. All the drawings are wonderfulJ" a tweet from the account said.
RocketNews25 aptly describes what just happened: "Where there's love-struck Japanese men pondering the ideal forms of female beauty, anime artwork can't be far behind."
Picture such as this posted on her Facebook fan page can only make Japanese love grow fonder:
Here are some Poklonskaya anime fan arts going viral:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- Autistic Business Owners Capitalize On Strengths For Success
- Food Finger Condoms Turns A Huge Hit In Korea
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports