50-Year-Old Woman Stabbed to Death in Mumbai Train by Suspected Robber
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 22, 2014 5:42 PM EST
A woman, reported to be a vegetable vendor, was allegedly stabbed to death by an unidentified man inside a local train in Mumbai.
The woman, now identified as Panga Andher, boarded the luggage compartment on the Churchgate end of the train at 3:59 am. The incident took place at around 4 am, Vasai Government Railway Police said.
A woman was allegedly stabbed to death by an unidentified man inside a local Train in Mumbai. (Representational Picture: Reuters)
It is reported that as the train moved, an unidentified man entered the compartment who allegedly stabbed the elderly victim on her lower right abdomen and the motorman heard her screams, according to reports.
The train stopped at Vasai railway station, but the suspect managed to jump out and fled towards the east side, Times of India reported.
The woman was rushed to the nearby Ravi hospital, but was declared dead when admitted. Hospital staffs have told media that Andher sustained around three stab wounds. It is also said that the stab was made with a chopper. Police said that the involvement of more than one person cannot be ruled out.
The victim was reportedly on her way to sell vegetables and was to alight at Borivli. Although the motive is not known, the police have said that the initial investigations suggest that it could have been an attempt to rob the victim.
Police have launched a manhunt for the alleged robber.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Julie Bishop to Attend UN Climate Summit; Australia Pressured to Announce 'Bolder' Target
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date