50-Year-Old Woman Stabbed to Death in Mumbai Train by Suspected Robber
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 22, 2014 5:42 PM EST
A woman, reported to be a vegetable vendor, was allegedly stabbed to death by an unidentified man inside a local train in Mumbai.
The woman, now identified as Panga Andher, boarded the luggage compartment on the Churchgate end of the train at 3:59 am. The incident took place at around 4 am, Vasai Government Railway Police said.
A woman was allegedly stabbed to death by an unidentified man inside a local Train in Mumbai. (Representational Picture: Reuters)
It is reported that as the train moved, an unidentified man entered the compartment who allegedly stabbed the elderly victim on her lower right abdomen and the motorman heard her screams, according to reports.
The train stopped at Vasai railway station, but the suspect managed to jump out and fled towards the east side, Times of India reported.
The woman was rushed to the nearby Ravi hospital, but was declared dead when admitted. Hospital staffs have told media that Andher sustained around three stab wounds. It is also said that the stab was made with a chopper. Police said that the involvement of more than one person cannot be ruled out.
The victim was reportedly on her way to sell vegetables and was to alight at Borivli. Although the motive is not known, the police have said that the initial investigations suggest that it could have been an attempt to rob the victim.
Police have launched a manhunt for the alleged robber.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report