'Cuckoo' Review Roundup: Dinesh-Malavika Starrer Gets Positive Feedback
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 22, 2014 4:41 PM EST
Dinesh-Malavika starrer "Cuckoo" has received positive reviews from critics.
"Cuckoo" had generated positive pre-release buzz prior to its release, thanks to its impressive trailer and songs. While it has received good feedback from the critics, it remains to be seen as to whether the film will be able impress the audience.
Directed by Raju Murugan, "Cuckoo" revolves around visually-challenged Tamizh (Dinesh) and Suthanthirakodi (Malavika) who fall in love with each other. Kodi's selfish brother wants her to get married to his friend, which leads to the lovers' separation. Whether their love succeeds or not forms the crux of the story.
The film's story is based on a real-life couple who the director had interviewed for a magazine article when he was a journalist.
In "Cuckoo", Raju Murugan plays himself and narrates to the audience as the story unfolds in flashback mould.
Critics say that the film works largely because of the film's narrative and the brilliant casting. They have appreciated the performances of the lead actors Dinesh and Malavika as well as the supporting actors.
"Dinesh has given a life time performance. It won't be a exaggeration if we compare his acting with Kamal's classic Rajapaarvai or Moondram Pirai, the actor is sure to go places after this movie and deserves an award. Malavika Nair has equally done a good job, also the characters like hero's friend (another visually challenged character), Aadukalam Murgadoss have also done a great job," says Rajasekar of Cinemalead.
Critics also heaped praises on music composer Santhosh Narayanan's scores and cinematographer PK Varma's visuals.
"Santhosh Narayanan has proved yet again that he is a musician, who likes to redefine the word 'quality', in every song he composes. The songs and the background music in the film definitely has those magical fingers that can directly touch the heart," says Behindwoods Review Board.
"PK Varma's camerawork including all the railway station platform, compartment shots are in sync with the narration," says Sify. On the flip side, the film's length seems to be the biggest drawback. Moreover, critics feel that the climax scene appears to be melodramatic. "The biggest drawback of the film is its length (2 hrs 42 minutes) and a climax which can be predicted at every turn. It is highly melodramatic and heart wrenching, tries to manipulate the viewers with an excess of sentiments and mush, reminding you of 70's tearjerkers," according to Sify.
Although there are a few drawbacks, plenty of positives including the narration, acting and background scores makes it worth watching, say critics.
"Though there are some elements that might give a documentary feel to this movie, on the whole, there is nothing to complain and it's a must go movie for its direction, music and aspiring acting sure to enthrall our emotions," according to Indiaglitz.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report