Google to Issue KitKat 4.4.3 Update Before Android 4.5 (Lollipop) Release Date?
By Pavithra Rathinavel | March 22, 2014 1:17 PM EST
Google's Chromium bug tracker forum unintentionally revealed a new version of Android 4.4 KitKat, claims Myce. They spotted a build "KTU65" running on a Nexus 5 within an issue description that was marked restricted. But we do not have information on how the report was made public.
A Google Android figurine sits on the welcome desk as employee Tracy McNeilly smiles at the new Google office in Toronto, November 13, 2012.
Notably, the first letter from the build "KTU65" is the code-name of the release/build family, so 'K' represents KitKat. And there is an alleged theory to breakdown & comprehend the rest of the letters in the build name as well. The interested ones can read the "The Alleged Theory" sub-section given below.
The Alleged Theory
According to Myce, "the second letter is a branch code that allows Google to identify the exact code branch that the build was made from, and 'R' is by convention the primary release branch. The next letter and two digits are a date code."
Myce says, "the letter counts quarters, with 'A' being Q1 2009. Therefore, 'F' is Q2 2010. The two digits count days within the quarter, so F85 is June 24th, 2010. Finally, the last letter identifies individual versions related to the same date code, sequentially starting with 'A'; 'A' is actually implicit and usually omitted for brevity."
Is This a Major Update?
The latest KitKat build available to users is Android 4.4.2 (a.k.a KOT49H build).
Although it is unclear as to what kind of fixes this alleged update might bring in, a wild guess would obviously point to Nexus 5's camera issue.
Nexus 5's CPU maxes out whenever the camera app is launched. This in turn makes the phone get too hot on the surface and as a butterfly effect the battery drains out significantly. This issue clearly calls for a solid fix from Google.
According to Myce, this new build is very recent and could suggest that Google might be working on one and Nexus users could see a KitKat update soon.
The report also claimed that Google could send out one or more updates for KitKat before the next major Android release.
The possibility of Android 4.4.3 KitKat update rumors cannot be ignored owing to the information provided by Myce. Also rumors of an impending Android 4.5 release is floating around already. So it is not very clear if the new KitKat update with build KTU65 is in reality Android KitKat 4.4.3 or Android 4.5.
What is your theory? Feel free to share your thoughts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports