Google to Issue KitKat 4.4.3 Update Before Android 4.5 (Lollipop) Release Date?
By Pavithra Rathinavel | March 22, 2014 1:17 PM EST
Google's Chromium bug tracker forum unintentionally revealed a new version of Android 4.4 KitKat, claims Myce. They spotted a build "KTU65" running on a Nexus 5 within an issue description that was marked restricted. But we do not have information on how the report was made public.
A Google Android figurine sits on the welcome desk as employee Tracy McNeilly smiles at the new Google office in Toronto, November 13, 2012.
Notably, the first letter from the build "KTU65" is the code-name of the release/build family, so 'K' represents KitKat. And there is an alleged theory to breakdown & comprehend the rest of the letters in the build name as well. The interested ones can read the "The Alleged Theory" sub-section given below.
The Alleged Theory
According to Myce, "the second letter is a branch code that allows Google to identify the exact code branch that the build was made from, and 'R' is by convention the primary release branch. The next letter and two digits are a date code."
Myce says, "the letter counts quarters, with 'A' being Q1 2009. Therefore, 'F' is Q2 2010. The two digits count days within the quarter, so F85 is June 24th, 2010. Finally, the last letter identifies individual versions related to the same date code, sequentially starting with 'A'; 'A' is actually implicit and usually omitted for brevity."
Is This a Major Update?
The latest KitKat build available to users is Android 4.4.2 (a.k.a KOT49H build).
Although it is unclear as to what kind of fixes this alleged update might bring in, a wild guess would obviously point to Nexus 5's camera issue.
Nexus 5's CPU maxes out whenever the camera app is launched. This in turn makes the phone get too hot on the surface and as a butterfly effect the battery drains out significantly. This issue clearly calls for a solid fix from Google.
According to Myce, this new build is very recent and could suggest that Google might be working on one and Nexus users could see a KitKat update soon.
The report also claimed that Google could send out one or more updates for KitKat before the next major Android release.
The possibility of Android 4.4.3 KitKat update rumors cannot be ignored owing to the information provided by Myce. Also rumors of an impending Android 4.5 release is floating around already. So it is not very clear if the new KitKat update with build KTU65 is in reality Android KitKat 4.4.3 or Android 4.5.
What is your theory? Feel free to share your thoughts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James