DirectX12 Unveiled for Xbox One and Demoed in Forza 5, More 1080p Games Coming
By Gel Galang | March 22, 2014 12:53 PM EST
The Xbox One may be on a roll with improvements and upgrades, following the announcement made by Microsoft during the GDC.
It seems that Microsoft is planning on making DirectX 12 into the API that would allow developers to have higher consistence and predictability when creating games. The end goal is supposedly to have more room for higher end graphics, which could result in better quality games in terms of visuals for the Xbox One in the coming months and years.
"Epic will be working closely with NVIDIA and Microsoft to create a world-class implementation of DX12 in Unreal Engine 4. DirectX 12 is a great step forward, exposing low-level hardware functionality through an industry standard API to give developers more control and efficiency than ever before," said Tim Sweeney of Epic Games.
In addition, Gamingbolt reports that DX 12 is said to enhance the modern graphics chip, and may even improve performance for all Xbox One games. It would be interesting to see where this will take the Xbox One in the console wars.
Forza 5 at its finest
The first game that was demoed to feature the DX 12 was Forza 5, also seen during the GDC presentation.
According to DualShockers, the demo of Forza 5 on the PC was ported from Xbox One D3D11.X to D3D12, hence allowing the 60fps game on the Xbox One to be rendered and replicated on the PC demo.
If this goes as planned, Microsoft may be able to close the gap in terms of performance with the PS4--unless Sony has an answer that could effectively compete with this set-up.
More 1080p games also promised by Microsoft
It may be that quality really is Microsoft's end goal for the Xbox One, as another report also brings up the issue that has tagged along the resolution gate that the Xbox One has always been faced with.
Forbes reports that even though the released games so far on the Xbox One have been sub-par in terms of resolution when compared to the PS4, this may not be the case for long.
"I fully expect that [more 1080p games] to happen," said Boyd Multerer, Xbox director of development, in an interview quoted by Forbes.
Developers may now be trying to figure out how best to work with the ESRAM on the Xbox One for a more efficient data-tuning. Perhaps the resolution gate may be remedied with the upcoming release of DirectX 12, considering that it's expected to improve the games' performance.
It's going to be a wait-and-see approach, but Microsoft seems also bent on covering all their bases. Just recently, the company has unveiled a list of 25 independent games that it's readying to release for the Xbox One, a target base that it previously held strict restrictions for and one that Sony used to have an advantage over with the PS4.
Will this boil down to a continuous face-off between the two top next-gen rivals as they try to one-up one another in various approaches to gaming?
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date