Oscar Pistorius’ House for Sale: Place of Reeva Steenkamp’s Death Will Cost no Less Than $4,59,040
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 21, 2014 11:53 PM EST
Oscar Pistorius is selling his sprawling Pretoria home to cover the increasing legal costs of his ongoing murder trial, his lawyer has said.
Oscar Pistorius during the trial. He is selling his sprawling Pretoria home, and the death place of Reeva Steenkamp for ‘not less than’ $4,59,040
Although no price has been set, the agency expects to sell the mansion for no less than five million rand ($4, 59,040). Bidding for the house kicked off on Thursday and the house has already attracted interests from several buyers, according to reports.
The athlete was released on bail of one million rand in February last year and has been paying his own legal fees ever since he was arrested and charged with murder.
The highly anticipated trial of Pistorius, often referred to as the 'trial of the century', began earlier in March. The six-time sprint champion has pleaded not guilty to murdering his girlfriend.
The 27-year-old faces murder charges for shooting his girlfriend - the 29-year-old South African model Steenkamp - on Valantine's Day last year.
The double amputee, better known around the world as 'the blade runner,' has argued that Steenkamp's death was an accident, and that he had mistaken her for an intruder breaking into his house from the toilet.
The Judge in the Pretoria High Court has the daunting task of deciding whether Pistorius is saying the truth. The prosecutors have said that he knew Steenkamp was inside the bathroom and that he deliberately shot her.
The Paralympian has said that his decision to sell the house comes because of the unexpected" extension of his murder trial beyond the initial three-week period stipulated.
"Due to the delay in finalizing the trial, the decision to urgently dispose of his single biggest asset has had to be made," Pistorius' lawyer Brian Webber said in a statement.
"With the trial now already into its third week and as the prosecution is still leading evidence, it is clear that the legal process will last significantly longer than originally indicated by the state," he added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015