Kurt Cobain’s Death: Seattle Police Re-investigating his Suicide, Releases Never-before-seen Photos
By Aditya Bhat | March 21, 2014 11:46 PM EST
At 27, Kurt Cobain the lead vocalist of Nirvana, an influential grunge music band breathed his last after an apparent suicide in April 1994. 20 years have passed since his death and police had said that the singer had shot himself using a shot gun.
But, Cobain is again in news this time due to the release of the never-before-seen photos and not according to some reports that suggested the reopening of the case. Since Cobain's death, various conspiracy theories evolved on his death.
When his body was found on his house at 171 Lake Washington Boulevard in Seattle, Washington on 8 April 1994, police found a shotgun near his body and a head wound. Investigators had also found the famous suicide note he wrote claiming his love for his daughter and wife, Courtney love.
So if the Seattle police are not re-investigating the case then why is it in news? It is the release of new photos from the scene of death.
The photos were developed by the Seattle police after they found four 35 mm film rolls hidden in the vault. These were later developed with some help and the photos have a green tint to it as it was kept in storage for years, said Kiro TV.
Due to the upcoming 20th anniversary of Cobain's death and media interest, and various conspiracy theories surrounding this case, Seattle police had asked cold-case detective Mike Ciesynski, to review the case.
"We knew with the 20th anniversary coming up and we knew there was going to be a lot of media interest," Ciesynski says, SPD Blotter reported. "I've been a detective in homicide for 20 years and I've been in the cold case unit for 10 years. Most of the cases I work on, I look for something that wasn't done in the investigation in the past."
Among the photos released, one of them is a close up of a cigar box that was found near his body and consisted of heroin paraphernalia. Another photo shows the cigar box, cigarettes, lighter, shades, a small bag and other personal belongings.
Before Cobain shot himself, he injected a fatal dose of heroin, said police investigators. His body was found by an electrician who thought it as a mannequin initially. Among the conspiracy theories about his death, many believe that he was murdered.
He was instrumental in interpreting rock in a new way with his grunge rock. Though Cobain might have been physically dead, his legacy still remains. His song, "Come As You Are" rings in our minds softly.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu