Benedict Cumberbatch Is Hamlet In Upcoming Theatre Play
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 9:31 PM EST
Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing another classic character. The “Sherlock” star is set to play “Hamlet” at the Barbican Theatre in London in 2015.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
The Daily Mail reported that the 37-year-old English actor has signed on to play the title character of the Shakespeare tragedy.
The play was originally expected to run in 2014, but due to lack of appropriate venues and Cumberbatch and director Lyndsey Turner’s fully-packed schedules for the year, it has been moved to 2015.
“I can confirm that we are in final negotiations with the Barbican,” producer Sonia Friedman told the paper when asked about the play. She declined to comment further.
Cumberbatch has reportedly cleared his schedule for the play, though, allowing him to commit to the play, which will run for 12 weeks and requires at least six weeks of preparation and rehearsal.
The actor has had a busy 2013, starring in six films, such as the blockbusters “Star Trek Into Dark,” “The Fifth Estate, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” “August: Osage County,” and “12 Years a Slave.”
He will be seen next in the historical drama “The Imitation Game,” in which he plays wartime cryptographer Alan Turing.
Cumberbatch, whose critically acclaimed series “Sherlock” is currently on hiatus in between seasons, is not a stranger to theatre plays. He also has prolific theatre acting roles, including as the title character and his creature in “Frankenstein,” which premiered at the Royal National Theatre in February 2011.
He won Best Actor for that role from the Critics’ Circle Theatre Awards, Evening Standard Theatre Awards, and Laurence Olivier Awards.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS