Benedict Cumberbatch Is Hamlet In Upcoming Theatre Play
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 9:31 PM EST
Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing another classic character. The “Sherlock” star is set to play “Hamlet” at the Barbican Theatre in London in 2015.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
The Daily Mail reported that the 37-year-old English actor has signed on to play the title character of the Shakespeare tragedy.
The play was originally expected to run in 2014, but due to lack of appropriate venues and Cumberbatch and director Lyndsey Turner’s fully-packed schedules for the year, it has been moved to 2015.
“I can confirm that we are in final negotiations with the Barbican,” producer Sonia Friedman told the paper when asked about the play. She declined to comment further.
Cumberbatch has reportedly cleared his schedule for the play, though, allowing him to commit to the play, which will run for 12 weeks and requires at least six weeks of preparation and rehearsal.
The actor has had a busy 2013, starring in six films, such as the blockbusters “Star Trek Into Dark,” “The Fifth Estate, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” “August: Osage County,” and “12 Years a Slave.”
He will be seen next in the historical drama “The Imitation Game,” in which he plays wartime cryptographer Alan Turing.
Cumberbatch, whose critically acclaimed series “Sherlock” is currently on hiatus in between seasons, is not a stranger to theatre plays. He also has prolific theatre acting roles, including as the title character and his creature in “Frankenstein,” which premiered at the Royal National Theatre in February 2011.
He won Best Actor for that role from the Critics’ Circle Theatre Awards, Evening Standard Theatre Awards, and Laurence Olivier Awards.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build