Benedict Cumberbatch Is Hamlet In Upcoming Theatre Play
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 9:31 PM EST
Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing another classic character. The “Sherlock” star is set to play “Hamlet” at the Barbican Theatre in London in 2015.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
The Daily Mail reported that the 37-year-old English actor has signed on to play the title character of the Shakespeare tragedy.
The play was originally expected to run in 2014, but due to lack of appropriate venues and Cumberbatch and director Lyndsey Turner’s fully-packed schedules for the year, it has been moved to 2015.
“I can confirm that we are in final negotiations with the Barbican,” producer Sonia Friedman told the paper when asked about the play. She declined to comment further.
Cumberbatch has reportedly cleared his schedule for the play, though, allowing him to commit to the play, which will run for 12 weeks and requires at least six weeks of preparation and rehearsal.
The actor has had a busy 2013, starring in six films, such as the blockbusters “Star Trek Into Dark,” “The Fifth Estate, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” “August: Osage County,” and “12 Years a Slave.”
He will be seen next in the historical drama “The Imitation Game,” in which he plays wartime cryptographer Alan Turing.
Cumberbatch, whose critically acclaimed series “Sherlock” is currently on hiatus in between seasons, is not a stranger to theatre plays. He also has prolific theatre acting roles, including as the title character and his creature in “Frankenstein,” which premiered at the Royal National Theatre in February 2011.
He won Best Actor for that role from the Critics’ Circle Theatre Awards, Evening Standard Theatre Awards, and Laurence Olivier Awards.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop