Benedict Cumberbatch Is Hamlet In Upcoming Theatre Play
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 9:31 PM EST
Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing another classic character. The “Sherlock” star is set to play “Hamlet” at the Barbican Theatre in London in 2015.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
The Daily Mail reported that the 37-year-old English actor has signed on to play the title character of the Shakespeare tragedy.
The play was originally expected to run in 2014, but due to lack of appropriate venues and Cumberbatch and director Lyndsey Turner’s fully-packed schedules for the year, it has been moved to 2015.
“I can confirm that we are in final negotiations with the Barbican,” producer Sonia Friedman told the paper when asked about the play. She declined to comment further.
Cumberbatch has reportedly cleared his schedule for the play, though, allowing him to commit to the play, which will run for 12 weeks and requires at least six weeks of preparation and rehearsal.
The actor has had a busy 2013, starring in six films, such as the blockbusters “Star Trek Into Dark,” “The Fifth Estate, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” “August: Osage County,” and “12 Years a Slave.”
He will be seen next in the historical drama “The Imitation Game,” in which he plays wartime cryptographer Alan Turing.
Cumberbatch, whose critically acclaimed series “Sherlock” is currently on hiatus in between seasons, is not a stranger to theatre plays. He also has prolific theatre acting roles, including as the title character and his creature in “Frankenstein,” which premiered at the Royal National Theatre in February 2011.
He won Best Actor for that role from the Critics’ Circle Theatre Awards, Evening Standard Theatre Awards, and Laurence Olivier Awards.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga