Future Vertical-Flight Aircraft Advancing to Reality
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 9:20 PM EST
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) that works on developing new technologies for the militants of the US Department of Defense is looking forward to make future helicopter-type aircrafts. The vehicles will be designed to take off and land vertically.
An artist's concept of VTOL airplanes
The agency has already provided funds to four companies to build vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) airplanes, as part of the DARPA's VTOL Experimental Plane (VTOL X-Plane) program. Aurora Flight Sciences Corporation, Karem Aircraft, Inc., The Boeing Company and Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation are the four companies that have been given contracts to design aircrafts with a higher top speed without compromising with its range or efficiency, according to DARPA officials.
"The proposals we've chosen aim to create new technologies and incorporate existing ones that VTOL designs so far have not succeeded in developing. "We're eager to see if the performers can integrate their ideas into designs that could potentially achieve the performance goals we've set." said Ashish Bagai, program manager in a statement.
Earlier, engineers struggled to improve these vertical takeoff and landing aircraft, according to agency officials. The program aims to strengthen the vehicle's speed, transport heavier goods and increase the efficiency of aircraft hover.
"We were looking for different approaches to solve this extremely challenging problem and we got them," said Bagai.
The four companies will have to submit their preliminary vehicle designs by the end of 2015. The designs will then be reviewed by the DARPA and one will be chosen to build as a model. In 2017 or 2018, the agency is planning to perform the VTOL test flights, according to DARPA officials.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How