Future Vertical-Flight Aircraft Advancing to Reality
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 9:20 PM EST
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) that works on developing new technologies for the militants of the US Department of Defense is looking forward to make future helicopter-type aircrafts. The vehicles will be designed to take off and land vertically.
An artist's concept of VTOL airplanes
The agency has already provided funds to four companies to build vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) airplanes, as part of the DARPA's VTOL Experimental Plane (VTOL X-Plane) program. Aurora Flight Sciences Corporation, Karem Aircraft, Inc., The Boeing Company and Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation are the four companies that have been given contracts to design aircrafts with a higher top speed without compromising with its range or efficiency, according to DARPA officials.
"The proposals we've chosen aim to create new technologies and incorporate existing ones that VTOL designs so far have not succeeded in developing. "We're eager to see if the performers can integrate their ideas into designs that could potentially achieve the performance goals we've set." said Ashish Bagai, program manager in a statement.
Earlier, engineers struggled to improve these vertical takeoff and landing aircraft, according to agency officials. The program aims to strengthen the vehicle's speed, transport heavier goods and increase the efficiency of aircraft hover.
"We were looking for different approaches to solve this extremely challenging problem and we got them," said Bagai.
The four companies will have to submit their preliminary vehicle designs by the end of 2015. The designs will then be reviewed by the DARPA and one will be chosen to build as a model. In 2017 or 2018, the agency is planning to perform the VTOL test flights, according to DARPA officials.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October