Future Vertical-Flight Aircraft Advancing to Reality
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 9:20 PM EST
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) that works on developing new technologies for the militants of the US Department of Defense is looking forward to make future helicopter-type aircrafts. The vehicles will be designed to take off and land vertically.
An artist's concept of VTOL airplanes
The agency has already provided funds to four companies to build vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) airplanes, as part of the DARPA's VTOL Experimental Plane (VTOL X-Plane) program. Aurora Flight Sciences Corporation, Karem Aircraft, Inc., The Boeing Company and Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation are the four companies that have been given contracts to design aircrafts with a higher top speed without compromising with its range or efficiency, according to DARPA officials.
"The proposals we've chosen aim to create new technologies and incorporate existing ones that VTOL designs so far have not succeeded in developing. "We're eager to see if the performers can integrate their ideas into designs that could potentially achieve the performance goals we've set." said Ashish Bagai, program manager in a statement.
Earlier, engineers struggled to improve these vertical takeoff and landing aircraft, according to agency officials. The program aims to strengthen the vehicle's speed, transport heavier goods and increase the efficiency of aircraft hover.
"We were looking for different approaches to solve this extremely challenging problem and we got them," said Bagai.
The four companies will have to submit their preliminary vehicle designs by the end of 2015. The designs will then be reviewed by the DARPA and one will be chosen to build as a model. In 2017 or 2018, the agency is planning to perform the VTOL test flights, according to DARPA officials.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop