RIP Khushwant Singh: ‘No One Invented Condom for Pen’ and 7 Other Memorable Quotes
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 21, 2014 8:10 PM EST
Khushwant Singh - author, editor, journalist and the man who knew how to enjoy life to the fullest and how to make you laugh and laugh at himself -passed away at the age of 99 on Thursday.
Khushwant Singh, India's best known columnist, passed away on Thursday in New Delhi.
Singh was perhaps one of the very few personalities in the last few decades who touched the hearts of millions, with his incredibly bold and courageous thoughts, and perhaps the funniest lines one could think about.
So here are some of the most memorable quotes from the legendary author:
1. "When you have counted eighty years and more, time and tate will batter at your door; But if you should survive to be a hundred, Your life will be death to the very core." (Singh died aged 99 in March 2014)
2. "Here lies one who spared neither man nor God/Waste not your tears on him, he was a sod/ Writing nasty things he regarded as great fun/ Thank the Lord he is dead, this son of a gun." (This is Singh's own epitaph. It was published in the Outlook magazine.)
3. "Morality is a matter of money. Poor people cannot afford to have morals. So they have religion." (Singh on morality)
4. "That's Delhi. When life gets too much for you all you need to do is to spend an hour at Nigambodh Ghat, watch the dead being put to flames and hear their kin wait for them. Then come home and and down a couple of pegs of whisky. In Delhi, death and drink make life worth living." (Delhi: A novel)
5. "But big people's illnesses are always made to sound big. The simple shutting and opening of the royal arse-hole was made to sound as if the world was coming to an end." (Delhi: A novel)
7. "Your principle should be to see everything and say nothing. The world changes so rapidly that if you want to get on your cannot afford to align yourself with any person or point of view."
And here is the classic.
8. "No one has invented a condom for the pen yet" (when once asked why he was so productive).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change