Iowa Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Fire Chief
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 6:17 PM EST
A night in a dancing pub turned out to be a lifesaving event when Done Roese, a resident of Iowa collapsed while dancing at Neil Diamond's classic "Sweet Caroline."
Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Iowa Fire Chief
The 83-year-old man suffered a major heart attack, his heart stopped pumping and he stopped breathing.
But Tony Collins, assistant fire chief of Clive Fire Department who happened to be present at the same event rushed to save Roese's life. Collins along with a paramedic, an emergency room nurse, a military veteran and a firefighter, who were also present at the event, brought back his life. though for 15 minutes, Roese was technically dead.
"He just dropped like a brick. He couldn't have dropped at a better time considering the company he was in." ABC News quoted Collins as saying.
"Doing something is better than doing nothing. It was very sobering. The bar erupted in applause. It was pretty powerful. That just doesn't happen very often when you drop of a heart attack. He shouldn't even be here today." Collins added.
"Fight, Dad. Keep fighting," said Steve Roese, son of the victim Done Roese, who was also present when the incident occurred. Steve stayed close to his father.
Roese fought all odds as he suffered a heart attack called 'window maker.' Less than one percent of victims survive such an attack, according to the officials. Roese was lucky to have Collins who performed several chest compressions per minute to get the pulse back.
He was soon taken to the hospital for further treatment. Roese later thanked Collins for saving his life.
About 720,000 people in the United States suffer a heart attack every year and about 122,000 of them die, according to the American Heart Association. It is important to seek for immediate treatment as untreated victim whose heart has stopped pumping can die within minutes, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown