Iowa Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Fire Chief
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 6:17 PM EST
A night in a dancing pub turned out to be a lifesaving event when Done Roese, a resident of Iowa collapsed while dancing at Neil Diamond's classic "Sweet Caroline."
Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Iowa Fire Chief
The 83-year-old man suffered a major heart attack, his heart stopped pumping and he stopped breathing.
But Tony Collins, assistant fire chief of Clive Fire Department who happened to be present at the same event rushed to save Roese's life. Collins along with a paramedic, an emergency room nurse, a military veteran and a firefighter, who were also present at the event, brought back his life. though for 15 minutes, Roese was technically dead.
"He just dropped like a brick. He couldn't have dropped at a better time considering the company he was in." ABC News quoted Collins as saying.
"Doing something is better than doing nothing. It was very sobering. The bar erupted in applause. It was pretty powerful. That just doesn't happen very often when you drop of a heart attack. He shouldn't even be here today." Collins added.
"Fight, Dad. Keep fighting," said Steve Roese, son of the victim Done Roese, who was also present when the incident occurred. Steve stayed close to his father.
Roese fought all odds as he suffered a heart attack called 'window maker.' Less than one percent of victims survive such an attack, according to the officials. Roese was lucky to have Collins who performed several chest compressions per minute to get the pulse back.
He was soon taken to the hospital for further treatment. Roese later thanked Collins for saving his life.
About 720,000 people in the United States suffer a heart attack every year and about 122,000 of them die, according to the American Heart Association. It is important to seek for immediate treatment as untreated victim whose heart has stopped pumping can die within minutes, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28