Iowa Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Fire Chief
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 6:17 PM EST
A night in a dancing pub turned out to be a lifesaving event when Done Roese, a resident of Iowa collapsed while dancing at Neil Diamond's classic "Sweet Caroline."
Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Iowa Fire Chief
The 83-year-old man suffered a major heart attack, his heart stopped pumping and he stopped breathing.
But Tony Collins, assistant fire chief of Clive Fire Department who happened to be present at the same event rushed to save Roese's life. Collins along with a paramedic, an emergency room nurse, a military veteran and a firefighter, who were also present at the event, brought back his life. though for 15 minutes, Roese was technically dead.
"He just dropped like a brick. He couldn't have dropped at a better time considering the company he was in." ABC News quoted Collins as saying.
"Doing something is better than doing nothing. It was very sobering. The bar erupted in applause. It was pretty powerful. That just doesn't happen very often when you drop of a heart attack. He shouldn't even be here today." Collins added.
"Fight, Dad. Keep fighting," said Steve Roese, son of the victim Done Roese, who was also present when the incident occurred. Steve stayed close to his father.
Roese fought all odds as he suffered a heart attack called 'window maker.' Less than one percent of victims survive such an attack, according to the officials. Roese was lucky to have Collins who performed several chest compressions per minute to get the pulse back.
He was soon taken to the hospital for further treatment. Roese later thanked Collins for saving his life.
About 720,000 people in the United States suffer a heart attack every year and about 122,000 of them die, according to the American Heart Association. It is important to seek for immediate treatment as untreated victim whose heart has stopped pumping can die within minutes, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff