Iowa Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Fire Chief
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 6:17 PM EST
A night in a dancing pub turned out to be a lifesaving event when Done Roese, a resident of Iowa collapsed while dancing at Neil Diamond's classic "Sweet Caroline."
Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Iowa Fire Chief
The 83-year-old man suffered a major heart attack, his heart stopped pumping and he stopped breathing.
But Tony Collins, assistant fire chief of Clive Fire Department who happened to be present at the same event rushed to save Roese's life. Collins along with a paramedic, an emergency room nurse, a military veteran and a firefighter, who were also present at the event, brought back his life. though for 15 minutes, Roese was technically dead.
"He just dropped like a brick. He couldn't have dropped at a better time considering the company he was in." ABC News quoted Collins as saying.
"Doing something is better than doing nothing. It was very sobering. The bar erupted in applause. It was pretty powerful. That just doesn't happen very often when you drop of a heart attack. He shouldn't even be here today." Collins added.
"Fight, Dad. Keep fighting," said Steve Roese, son of the victim Done Roese, who was also present when the incident occurred. Steve stayed close to his father.
Roese fought all odds as he suffered a heart attack called 'window maker.' Less than one percent of victims survive such an attack, according to the officials. Roese was lucky to have Collins who performed several chest compressions per minute to get the pulse back.
He was soon taken to the hospital for further treatment. Roese later thanked Collins for saving his life.
About 720,000 people in the United States suffer a heart attack every year and about 122,000 of them die, according to the American Heart Association. It is important to seek for immediate treatment as untreated victim whose heart has stopped pumping can die within minutes, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS