Iowa Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Fire Chief
By Parismita Goswami | March 21, 2014 6:17 PM EST
A night in a dancing pub turned out to be a lifesaving event when Done Roese, a resident of Iowa collapsed while dancing at Neil Diamond's classic "Sweet Caroline."
Man Died for 15 Minutes, Saved by Iowa Fire Chief
The 83-year-old man suffered a major heart attack, his heart stopped pumping and he stopped breathing.
But Tony Collins, assistant fire chief of Clive Fire Department who happened to be present at the same event rushed to save Roese's life. Collins along with a paramedic, an emergency room nurse, a military veteran and a firefighter, who were also present at the event, brought back his life. though for 15 minutes, Roese was technically dead.
"He just dropped like a brick. He couldn't have dropped at a better time considering the company he was in." ABC News quoted Collins as saying.
"Doing something is better than doing nothing. It was very sobering. The bar erupted in applause. It was pretty powerful. That just doesn't happen very often when you drop of a heart attack. He shouldn't even be here today." Collins added.
"Fight, Dad. Keep fighting," said Steve Roese, son of the victim Done Roese, who was also present when the incident occurred. Steve stayed close to his father.
Roese fought all odds as he suffered a heart attack called 'window maker.' Less than one percent of victims survive such an attack, according to the officials. Roese was lucky to have Collins who performed several chest compressions per minute to get the pulse back.
He was soon taken to the hospital for further treatment. Roese later thanked Collins for saving his life.
About 720,000 people in the United States suffer a heart attack every year and about 122,000 of them die, according to the American Heart Association. It is important to seek for immediate treatment as untreated victim whose heart has stopped pumping can die within minutes, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- Video: Man's Privates Gets Exposed For the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown