Miami Open 2014 Results: Serena, Sharapova Glide into Third Round
By Shruthi SU | March 21, 2014 6:04 PM EST
Serena Williams looks all set to defend her Miami Open title after a win over Yaroslava Shvedova, 7-6 (7), 6-2 in the second round. The five-time Miami Open finalist, Maria Sharapova too managed a victory over Japan's Kurumi Nara beating her 6-3, 6-4.
Donning a turquoise and orange outfit to showcase her loyalty for NFL team -- the Miami Dolphins -- which she co-owns, Williams started off on the back foot being 3-5 down in the opening set. She went ahead winning three straight games with the first set ending up in a tie break, where she found herself behind 3-6. The American got across a couple of aces and clawed her way back to win the tie break 9-7. The second set was all too easy with Shvedova giving it away, not managing to get her serves across.
But the tough first set warmed up Williams for the rest of the tournament to hopefully pick up her seventh Miami Open title. "It's definitely going to help, knowing that I was able to pull that through after being down, you know, pretty drastically," Williams said. Her next opponent is Caroline Garcia of France who defeated Klara Zakopalova 7-6 (3), 7-6 (3).
Russia's Sharapova had a tough day at the court facing a challenge posed by the Rio Open 2014 champion Kurumi Nara, with the match turning out to be a lot difficult than the 6-3, 6-4 scoreline suggests. The four-time grand slam champion was seen at 3 all in the first set and 1-3 down in the second set rallying towards an eventual win.
"She made me work extremely hard," Sharapova said. "She's a really quick opponent, got a lot of balls back, and she made me hit a lot. She made me try to do too much in certain situations.
"Sometimes I felt like I was doing the right mistakes and sometimes I felt like I should have been more patient, but I guess those are the situations you want to build that match confidence again."
The 26 year old will face Czech Republic's Lucie Safarova in round three. Safarova defeated American Vania King 6-3, 7-6 (2) in the second round.
"I still feel like a work in progress," Sharapova said coming from a third-round defeat at Indian Wells. "That match strength, when you're deep into the match and just in the later stages of matches, I think that's the thing that's hurt me in these last couple of months.
"But I've got to work through that. Nothing's just going to come to me. It's a challenge I have ahead of me, and I have to face it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues