Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto To Spar in Training, Freddie Roach Confirms
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 4:46 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao is in for a tough challenge against reigning WBO Welterweight champion Timothy Bradley on April 12 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. That's why Freddie Roach is providing his prized fighter with the best sparring partner he could offer in his gym.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
Roach confirmed in an interview on boxing site On the Break that Pacquiao could perhaps spar with former foe and three-division world champion Miguel Cotto who is also set to prepare for his upcoming showdown with WBC Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in June.
"We're 100 percent ready for this fight," Roach said in the interview. "The first two weeks of training camp will overlap with Manny Pacquiao and they will work together, they are good friends and there is no problem whatsoever."
"I've been thinking about them sparring. It might be too close to Manny's fight and not the right style for Manny's fight. But I believe good work makes you sharp no matter who you're fighting," the multiple Trainer of the Year winner added.
Second Chance to Crack Martinez
Roach said he's thrilled for another opportunity to defeat Maravila after his first chance to defeat the Argentinean brawler came a little bit short the last time around. Roach was in Julio Cesar Chavez's corner when the Mexican bowed out to Martinez via unanimous decision. But Chavez did give Martinez some scary moments in 2012 when he floored the Argentinean boxer with a combination of jarring punches.
Moreover, Roach provided a good comparison between Martinez and Pacquiao, who will certainly give Cotto some challenge in their upcoming sparring sessions.
"They have speed and both have a southpaw stance but they fight completely differently. Manny is a solid fighter whereas Martinez is primarily a soccer player and a secondary fighter, he's a great athlete, but he's not a great fighter," Roach said.
Pacquiao is gunning to avenge his controversial loss to Bradley in 2012, while Cotto looks to become a champion again after losing his belts to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the same year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues