Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto To Spar in Training, Freddie Roach Confirms
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 4:46 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao is in for a tough challenge against reigning WBO Welterweight champion Timothy Bradley on April 12 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. That's why Freddie Roach is providing his prized fighter with the best sparring partner he could offer in his gym.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
Roach confirmed in an interview on boxing site On the Break that Pacquiao could perhaps spar with former foe and three-division world champion Miguel Cotto who is also set to prepare for his upcoming showdown with WBC Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in June.
"We're 100 percent ready for this fight," Roach said in the interview. "The first two weeks of training camp will overlap with Manny Pacquiao and they will work together, they are good friends and there is no problem whatsoever."
"I've been thinking about them sparring. It might be too close to Manny's fight and not the right style for Manny's fight. But I believe good work makes you sharp no matter who you're fighting," the multiple Trainer of the Year winner added.
Second Chance to Crack Martinez
Roach said he's thrilled for another opportunity to defeat Maravila after his first chance to defeat the Argentinean brawler came a little bit short the last time around. Roach was in Julio Cesar Chavez's corner when the Mexican bowed out to Martinez via unanimous decision. But Chavez did give Martinez some scary moments in 2012 when he floored the Argentinean boxer with a combination of jarring punches.
Moreover, Roach provided a good comparison between Martinez and Pacquiao, who will certainly give Cotto some challenge in their upcoming sparring sessions.
"They have speed and both have a southpaw stance but they fight completely differently. Manny is a solid fighter whereas Martinez is primarily a soccer player and a secondary fighter, he's a great athlete, but he's not a great fighter," Roach said.
Pacquiao is gunning to avenge his controversial loss to Bradley in 2012, while Cotto looks to become a champion again after losing his belts to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the same year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales