Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto To Spar in Training, Freddie Roach Confirms
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 4:46 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao is in for a tough challenge against reigning WBO Welterweight champion Timothy Bradley on April 12 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. That's why Freddie Roach is providing his prized fighter with the best sparring partner he could offer in his gym.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
Roach confirmed in an interview on boxing site On the Break that Pacquiao could perhaps spar with former foe and three-division world champion Miguel Cotto who is also set to prepare for his upcoming showdown with WBC Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in June.
"We're 100 percent ready for this fight," Roach said in the interview. "The first two weeks of training camp will overlap with Manny Pacquiao and they will work together, they are good friends and there is no problem whatsoever."
"I've been thinking about them sparring. It might be too close to Manny's fight and not the right style for Manny's fight. But I believe good work makes you sharp no matter who you're fighting," the multiple Trainer of the Year winner added.
Second Chance to Crack Martinez
Roach said he's thrilled for another opportunity to defeat Maravila after his first chance to defeat the Argentinean brawler came a little bit short the last time around. Roach was in Julio Cesar Chavez's corner when the Mexican bowed out to Martinez via unanimous decision. But Chavez did give Martinez some scary moments in 2012 when he floored the Argentinean boxer with a combination of jarring punches.
Moreover, Roach provided a good comparison between Martinez and Pacquiao, who will certainly give Cotto some challenge in their upcoming sparring sessions.
"They have speed and both have a southpaw stance but they fight completely differently. Manny is a solid fighter whereas Martinez is primarily a soccer player and a secondary fighter, he's a great athlete, but he's not a great fighter," Roach said.
Pacquiao is gunning to avenge his controversial loss to Bradley in 2012, while Cotto looks to become a champion again after losing his belts to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the same year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch