Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto To Spar in Training, Freddie Roach Confirms
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 4:46 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao is in for a tough challenge against reigning WBO Welterweight champion Timothy Bradley on April 12 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. That's why Freddie Roach is providing his prized fighter with the best sparring partner he could offer in his gym.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
Roach confirmed in an interview on boxing site On the Break that Pacquiao could perhaps spar with former foe and three-division world champion Miguel Cotto who is also set to prepare for his upcoming showdown with WBC Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in June.
"We're 100 percent ready for this fight," Roach said in the interview. "The first two weeks of training camp will overlap with Manny Pacquiao and they will work together, they are good friends and there is no problem whatsoever."
"I've been thinking about them sparring. It might be too close to Manny's fight and not the right style for Manny's fight. But I believe good work makes you sharp no matter who you're fighting," the multiple Trainer of the Year winner added.
Second Chance to Crack Martinez
Roach said he's thrilled for another opportunity to defeat Maravila after his first chance to defeat the Argentinean brawler came a little bit short the last time around. Roach was in Julio Cesar Chavez's corner when the Mexican bowed out to Martinez via unanimous decision. But Chavez did give Martinez some scary moments in 2012 when he floored the Argentinean boxer with a combination of jarring punches.
Moreover, Roach provided a good comparison between Martinez and Pacquiao, who will certainly give Cotto some challenge in their upcoming sparring sessions.
"They have speed and both have a southpaw stance but they fight completely differently. Manny is a solid fighter whereas Martinez is primarily a soccer player and a secondary fighter, he's a great athlete, but he's not a great fighter," Roach said.
Pacquiao is gunning to avenge his controversial loss to Bradley in 2012, while Cotto looks to become a champion again after losing his belts to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the same year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery