Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto To Spar in Training, Freddie Roach Confirms
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 4:46 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao is in for a tough challenge against reigning WBO Welterweight champion Timothy Bradley on April 12 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. That's why Freddie Roach is providing his prized fighter with the best sparring partner he could offer in his gym.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
Roach confirmed in an interview on boxing site On the Break that Pacquiao could perhaps spar with former foe and three-division world champion Miguel Cotto who is also set to prepare for his upcoming showdown with WBC Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in June.
"We're 100 percent ready for this fight," Roach said in the interview. "The first two weeks of training camp will overlap with Manny Pacquiao and they will work together, they are good friends and there is no problem whatsoever."
"I've been thinking about them sparring. It might be too close to Manny's fight and not the right style for Manny's fight. But I believe good work makes you sharp no matter who you're fighting," the multiple Trainer of the Year winner added.
Second Chance to Crack Martinez
Roach said he's thrilled for another opportunity to defeat Maravila after his first chance to defeat the Argentinean brawler came a little bit short the last time around. Roach was in Julio Cesar Chavez's corner when the Mexican bowed out to Martinez via unanimous decision. But Chavez did give Martinez some scary moments in 2012 when he floored the Argentinean boxer with a combination of jarring punches.
Moreover, Roach provided a good comparison between Martinez and Pacquiao, who will certainly give Cotto some challenge in their upcoming sparring sessions.
"They have speed and both have a southpaw stance but they fight completely differently. Manny is a solid fighter whereas Martinez is primarily a soccer player and a secondary fighter, he's a great athlete, but he's not a great fighter," Roach said.
Pacquiao is gunning to avenge his controversial loss to Bradley in 2012, while Cotto looks to become a champion again after losing his belts to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the same year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Video Of Floyd Mayweather Having An Altercation With A Random Woman, Who Had No Idea Who He Is, Goes Viral
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money