$33 Million Faberge Egg Bought at Flea Market for a Fraction of the Cost
By Sachin Trivedi | March 21, 2014 4:31 PM EST
A man bought a golden egg for $14,000 at a flea market sale not realizing that it was one of the long lost Faberge egg made for the Russian Royal family worth over $33 million. The man was considering melting the object for the gold.
One of the missing Imperial Faberge Easter Eggs made for the Russian Royal family is seen in this handout photograph received via Wartski in London March 20, 2014. When a scrap metal dealer from the Midwestern United States bought a golden ornament at a junk market, it never crossed his mind that he was the owner of the opulent $20 million Faberge egg hailing from Russia's imperial court. REUTERS/Prudence Cuming Associates/Wartski/Handout via Reuters
According to a report by CNN, the man who did not wish to be identified searched online by typing the words "Vacheron Constantin," which he found engraved on the egg. He discovered that the egg may have belonged to Russian Tsar Alexander III.
Alexander III ruled over Russia in the 19th century. He reportedly became the heir to the throne in 1865 after his elder brother died. His elder brother Nicholas is said to have insisted that Alexander III marry Nicholas' fiancé, Princess Dagmar, daughter of the Danish king.
The missing golden egg which was bought at the flea market sale is believed to be a gift from Alexander III to his wife on Easter. The couple were deeply in love and had six children. His wife took the name Maria Fyodorovna and the Tsar called her "Minnie."
Alexander III became the ruler of Russia in a very difficult time. The economy of the country was not in a very good shape after the Russian-Turkish war between 1877 and 1878 and his father was assassinated by revolutionaries in 1881.
Alexander III moved quickly and had all the revolutionaries responsible for his father's death executed. He went about restoring law and order in the country and promoted trade and commerce.
He had a cautious foreign policy and did not get involved in any wars during his reign. For this reason he was called "The Peacemaker." He was a highly respected leader in his country and in Europe. So the golden egg that he had possessed gains significance.
The golden egg was verified by Kieran McCarthy, an expert on Russian artifacts, who confirmed that it was genuine. The egg was auctioned off to an anonymous buyer who did not wish to be identified.
The Jewel studded golden egg can be opened and contains the Vacheron Constantin watch inside. It was one of the eight missing eggs that people have been looking for. The egg was last seen over a112 years ago.
More Articles to Read
New Bermuda Triangle Near Asia? Wild Theories on the Missing Malaysian Plane MH370 [Read]
'Ghostbusters' 3 Looking for a New Director - Production to Start in 2015 [Read]
'Incredibles' 2 and 'Cars' 3 Officially Confirmed - What Took so You Long? Ask Fans [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate