$33 Million Faberge Egg Bought at Flea Market for a Fraction of the Cost
By Sachin Trivedi | March 21, 2014 4:31 PM EST
A man bought a golden egg for $14,000 at a flea market sale not realizing that it was one of the long lost Faberge egg made for the Russian Royal family worth over $33 million. The man was considering melting the object for the gold.
One of the missing Imperial Faberge Easter Eggs made for the Russian Royal family is seen in this handout photograph received via Wartski in London March 20, 2014. When a scrap metal dealer from the Midwestern United States bought a golden ornament at a junk market, it never crossed his mind that he was the owner of the opulent $20 million Faberge egg hailing from Russia's imperial court. REUTERS/Prudence Cuming Associates/Wartski/Handout via Reuters
According to a report by CNN, the man who did not wish to be identified searched online by typing the words "Vacheron Constantin," which he found engraved on the egg. He discovered that the egg may have belonged to Russian Tsar Alexander III.
Alexander III ruled over Russia in the 19th century. He reportedly became the heir to the throne in 1865 after his elder brother died. His elder brother Nicholas is said to have insisted that Alexander III marry Nicholas' fiancé, Princess Dagmar, daughter of the Danish king.
The missing golden egg which was bought at the flea market sale is believed to be a gift from Alexander III to his wife on Easter. The couple were deeply in love and had six children. His wife took the name Maria Fyodorovna and the Tsar called her "Minnie."
Alexander III became the ruler of Russia in a very difficult time. The economy of the country was not in a very good shape after the Russian-Turkish war between 1877 and 1878 and his father was assassinated by revolutionaries in 1881.
Alexander III moved quickly and had all the revolutionaries responsible for his father's death executed. He went about restoring law and order in the country and promoted trade and commerce.
He had a cautious foreign policy and did not get involved in any wars during his reign. For this reason he was called "The Peacemaker." He was a highly respected leader in his country and in Europe. So the golden egg that he had possessed gains significance.
The golden egg was verified by Kieran McCarthy, an expert on Russian artifacts, who confirmed that it was genuine. The egg was auctioned off to an anonymous buyer who did not wish to be identified.
The Jewel studded golden egg can be opened and contains the Vacheron Constantin watch inside. It was one of the eight missing eggs that people have been looking for. The egg was last seen over a112 years ago.
More Articles to Read
New Bermuda Triangle Near Asia? Wild Theories on the Missing Malaysian Plane MH370 [Read]
'Ghostbusters' 3 Looking for a New Director - Production to Start in 2015 [Read]
'Incredibles' 2 and 'Cars' 3 Officially Confirmed - What Took so You Long? Ask Fans [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected