Bernard Tomic Records Fastest Loss in ATP History, Hewitt Wins
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 21, 2014 3:12 PM EST
In the Sony Open Tennis 2014 held at Miami, Bernard Tomic had set a record, becoming the fastest loser in ATP history.
Tomic, ranked 74, was crushed to defeat in the second round by 6-0, 6-1, to Jarkko Nieminen of Finland. The match was over by 28 minutes and 20 seconds, marking it to be as the ATP's shortest match by a minute.
The 21-year-old Tomic made his first appearance since his hiatus after having injured at Australian Open, in a match with Rafael Nadal.
On the other end, Former No1. Lleyton Hewitt defeated Dutchman Robin Hasse by 2- 6-3, 6-3, to move to the second round.
As Hasse took the first set easily, Hewitt bounced back to the second round in less than two hours.
Hewitt, who recorded his 600th win after the last game, stated, "It's not something you focus on, to tell you the truth. I totally forgot."
"Today was just like another match and an opportunity to go out there and play well."
"Obviously afterwards, it's a great milestone. Not many people get to achieve that. Not many people get the opportunity to get close to that, so it means I've been around for an awfully long time as well. I'm getting old."
"A few years ago when I had the last couple lot of surgeries I probably would have doubted I'd get to this stage anyway. I'm still grateful I'm out there and able to compete with the best guys."
On the other matches, in men's round, Jack Sock of United States defeated Guido Pella of Australia by 6-3, 6-4.
Ryan Harrison of United States also crushed Federico Delbonis of Australia by 6-2, 6-4.
Stephane Robert of France defeated Alex Bogomolov of Russia by 7-5, 6-4.
Eduardo Roger-Vasselin of France defeated Dutchman Igor Sijsling by 3-6. 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier