Bernard Tomic Records Fastest Loss in ATP History, Hewitt Wins
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 21, 2014 3:12 PM EST
In the Sony Open Tennis 2014 held at Miami, Bernard Tomic had set a record, becoming the fastest loser in ATP history.
Tomic, ranked 74, was crushed to defeat in the second round by 6-0, 6-1, to Jarkko Nieminen of Finland. The match was over by 28 minutes and 20 seconds, marking it to be as the ATP's shortest match by a minute.
The 21-year-old Tomic made his first appearance since his hiatus after having injured at Australian Open, in a match with Rafael Nadal.
On the other end, Former No1. Lleyton Hewitt defeated Dutchman Robin Hasse by 2- 6-3, 6-3, to move to the second round.
As Hasse took the first set easily, Hewitt bounced back to the second round in less than two hours.
Hewitt, who recorded his 600th win after the last game, stated, "It's not something you focus on, to tell you the truth. I totally forgot."
"Today was just like another match and an opportunity to go out there and play well."
"Obviously afterwards, it's a great milestone. Not many people get to achieve that. Not many people get the opportunity to get close to that, so it means I've been around for an awfully long time as well. I'm getting old."
"A few years ago when I had the last couple lot of surgeries I probably would have doubted I'd get to this stage anyway. I'm still grateful I'm out there and able to compete with the best guys."
On the other matches, in men's round, Jack Sock of United States defeated Guido Pella of Australia by 6-3, 6-4.
Ryan Harrison of United States also crushed Federico Delbonis of Australia by 6-2, 6-4.
Stephane Robert of France defeated Alex Bogomolov of Russia by 7-5, 6-4.
Eduardo Roger-Vasselin of France defeated Dutchman Igor Sijsling by 3-6. 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar