Bernard Tomic Records Fastest Loss in ATP History, Hewitt Wins
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 21, 2014 3:12 PM EST
In the Sony Open Tennis 2014 held at Miami, Bernard Tomic had set a record, becoming the fastest loser in ATP history.
Tomic, ranked 74, was crushed to defeat in the second round by 6-0, 6-1, to Jarkko Nieminen of Finland. The match was over by 28 minutes and 20 seconds, marking it to be as the ATP's shortest match by a minute.
The 21-year-old Tomic made his first appearance since his hiatus after having injured at Australian Open, in a match with Rafael Nadal.
On the other end, Former No1. Lleyton Hewitt defeated Dutchman Robin Hasse by 2- 6-3, 6-3, to move to the second round.
As Hasse took the first set easily, Hewitt bounced back to the second round in less than two hours.
Hewitt, who recorded his 600th win after the last game, stated, "It's not something you focus on, to tell you the truth. I totally forgot."
"Today was just like another match and an opportunity to go out there and play well."
"Obviously afterwards, it's a great milestone. Not many people get to achieve that. Not many people get the opportunity to get close to that, so it means I've been around for an awfully long time as well. I'm getting old."
"A few years ago when I had the last couple lot of surgeries I probably would have doubted I'd get to this stage anyway. I'm still grateful I'm out there and able to compete with the best guys."
On the other matches, in men's round, Jack Sock of United States defeated Guido Pella of Australia by 6-3, 6-4.
Ryan Harrison of United States also crushed Federico Delbonis of Australia by 6-2, 6-4.
Stephane Robert of France defeated Alex Bogomolov of Russia by 7-5, 6-4.
Eduardo Roger-Vasselin of France defeated Dutchman Igor Sijsling by 3-6. 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet