Bernard Tomic Records Fastest Loss in ATP History, Hewitt Wins
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 21, 2014 3:12 PM EST
In the Sony Open Tennis 2014 held at Miami, Bernard Tomic had set a record, becoming the fastest loser in ATP history.
Tomic, ranked 74, was crushed to defeat in the second round by 6-0, 6-1, to Jarkko Nieminen of Finland. The match was over by 28 minutes and 20 seconds, marking it to be as the ATP's shortest match by a minute.
The 21-year-old Tomic made his first appearance since his hiatus after having injured at Australian Open, in a match with Rafael Nadal.
On the other end, Former No1. Lleyton Hewitt defeated Dutchman Robin Hasse by 2- 6-3, 6-3, to move to the second round.
As Hasse took the first set easily, Hewitt bounced back to the second round in less than two hours.
Hewitt, who recorded his 600th win after the last game, stated, "It's not something you focus on, to tell you the truth. I totally forgot."
"Today was just like another match and an opportunity to go out there and play well."
"Obviously afterwards, it's a great milestone. Not many people get to achieve that. Not many people get the opportunity to get close to that, so it means I've been around for an awfully long time as well. I'm getting old."
"A few years ago when I had the last couple lot of surgeries I probably would have doubted I'd get to this stage anyway. I'm still grateful I'm out there and able to compete with the best guys."
On the other matches, in men's round, Jack Sock of United States defeated Guido Pella of Australia by 6-3, 6-4.
Ryan Harrison of United States also crushed Federico Delbonis of Australia by 6-2, 6-4.
Stephane Robert of France defeated Alex Bogomolov of Russia by 7-5, 6-4.
Eduardo Roger-Vasselin of France defeated Dutchman Igor Sijsling by 3-6. 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation