‘Game of Thrones’ Possibly Ending With A Film, Says George R.R. Martin
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“Game of Thrones” might end in an epic movie, George R.R. Martin revealed. The novelist said that the critically acclaimed television series could end in the big screen.
“It all depends on how long the main series runs,” he told The Hollywood Reporter.
Author and co-executive producer George R.R. Martin arrives for the premiere of the fourth season of HBO series \"Game of Thrones\" in New York March 18, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
“Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger (in scope). It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know.”
USD100 million for a movie project sounds reasonable, particularly for a TV series that reportedly costs between $50 to 60 million per season.
Another film project that he and the HBO bosses are considering is one that is based on the “Tales of Dunk and Egg,” a series of three prequel novellas that he wrote, which, like “Game of Thrones, is also set in the world of his novel “A Song of Ice and Fire.”
So far, Martin has written three novellas for the series, namely, “The Hedge Knight,” “The Sworn Sword,” and “The Mystery Knight.”
“They could be the basis for [a film],” Martin said. “I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more.”
Meanwhile, Emilia Clarke, who plays main character Daenerys Targaryen, revealed to “The Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon that she had to dance “Funky Chicken” with a touch of the “Robot” to secure the role.
She also described the highly anticipated new season as a “dark” one.
“I don’t want to spoil anything... but it’s a dark, dark season,” Clarke said before showing a surprisingly funny clip from the show involving a contest between Daario and Grey Worm.
“Game of Thrones” is set to premiere its fourth season in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine