‘Game of Thrones’ Possibly Ending With A Film, Says George R.R. Martin
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“Game of Thrones” might end in an epic movie, George R.R. Martin revealed. The novelist said that the critically acclaimed television series could end in the big screen.
“It all depends on how long the main series runs,” he told The Hollywood Reporter.
Author and co-executive producer George R.R. Martin arrives for the premiere of the fourth season of HBO series \"Game of Thrones\" in New York March 18, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
“Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger (in scope). It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know.”
USD100 million for a movie project sounds reasonable, particularly for a TV series that reportedly costs between $50 to 60 million per season.
Another film project that he and the HBO bosses are considering is one that is based on the “Tales of Dunk and Egg,” a series of three prequel novellas that he wrote, which, like “Game of Thrones, is also set in the world of his novel “A Song of Ice and Fire.”
So far, Martin has written three novellas for the series, namely, “The Hedge Knight,” “The Sworn Sword,” and “The Mystery Knight.”
“They could be the basis for [a film],” Martin said. “I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more.”
Meanwhile, Emilia Clarke, who plays main character Daenerys Targaryen, revealed to “The Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon that she had to dance “Funky Chicken” with a touch of the “Robot” to secure the role.
She also described the highly anticipated new season as a “dark” one.
“I don’t want to spoil anything... but it’s a dark, dark season,” Clarke said before showing a surprisingly funny clip from the show involving a contest between Daario and Grey Worm.
“Game of Thrones” is set to premiere its fourth season in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales