‘Game of Thrones’ Possibly Ending With A Film, Says George R.R. Martin
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“Game of Thrones” might end in an epic movie, George R.R. Martin revealed. The novelist said that the critically acclaimed television series could end in the big screen.
“It all depends on how long the main series runs,” he told The Hollywood Reporter.
Author and co-executive producer George R.R. Martin arrives for the premiere of the fourth season of HBO series \"Game of Thrones\" in New York March 18, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
“Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger (in scope). It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know.”
USD100 million for a movie project sounds reasonable, particularly for a TV series that reportedly costs between $50 to 60 million per season.
Another film project that he and the HBO bosses are considering is one that is based on the “Tales of Dunk and Egg,” a series of three prequel novellas that he wrote, which, like “Game of Thrones, is also set in the world of his novel “A Song of Ice and Fire.”
So far, Martin has written three novellas for the series, namely, “The Hedge Knight,” “The Sworn Sword,” and “The Mystery Knight.”
“They could be the basis for [a film],” Martin said. “I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more.”
Meanwhile, Emilia Clarke, who plays main character Daenerys Targaryen, revealed to “The Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon that she had to dance “Funky Chicken” with a touch of the “Robot” to secure the role.
She also described the highly anticipated new season as a “dark” one.
“I don’t want to spoil anything... but it’s a dark, dark season,” Clarke said before showing a surprisingly funny clip from the show involving a contest between Daario and Grey Worm.
“Game of Thrones” is set to premiere its fourth season in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family