‘Game of Thrones’ Possibly Ending With A Film, Says George R.R. Martin
By Anne Lu | March 21, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“Game of Thrones” might end in an epic movie, George R.R. Martin revealed. The novelist said that the critically acclaimed television series could end in the big screen.
“It all depends on how long the main series runs,” he told The Hollywood Reporter.
Author and co-executive producer George R.R. Martin arrives for the premiere of the fourth season of HBO series \"Game of Thrones\" in New York March 18, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
“Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger (in scope). It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know.”
USD100 million for a movie project sounds reasonable, particularly for a TV series that reportedly costs between $50 to 60 million per season.
Another film project that he and the HBO bosses are considering is one that is based on the “Tales of Dunk and Egg,” a series of three prequel novellas that he wrote, which, like “Game of Thrones, is also set in the world of his novel “A Song of Ice and Fire.”
So far, Martin has written three novellas for the series, namely, “The Hedge Knight,” “The Sworn Sword,” and “The Mystery Knight.”
“They could be the basis for [a film],” Martin said. “I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more.”
Meanwhile, Emilia Clarke, who plays main character Daenerys Targaryen, revealed to “The Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon that she had to dance “Funky Chicken” with a touch of the “Robot” to secure the role.
She also described the highly anticipated new season as a “dark” one.
“I don’t want to spoil anything... but it’s a dark, dark season,” Clarke said before showing a surprisingly funny clip from the show involving a contest between Daario and Grey Worm.
“Game of Thrones” is set to premiere its fourth season in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8